Quote:
Originally posted by amandanism:
the smell of mcdonalds is enough to make my stomache turn, let alone eating the stuff.
Absolutely! I used to eat Maccas all the time. but now..... puke.gif

There was a semi-interesting segment about this on the news the other night. The whole 'let's put a couple new sarnies on our menu and maybe not go bust' movement was recorded in a documentary by the TV company. Amazingly, McD J let them in on their inner councils.

In typical Japanese meeting style, the sarnie Development team were pitted against the Marketing team. Development presented a number of new sarnies, and Marketing said nope, we can't market that. Eventually the Development bucho got annoyed and said, well we're not going to develop anything else, so you'd better market this - it's your job. If we came up with a dog-turd in a bun, you'd have to make that sell too.

Actually he didn't say that, but you could tell he was forming the words when he realized he was being filmed.

So what you are seeing in that exciting ad is the first effort of Development and the unwilling presentation of Marketing. I like the novel way they've chosen to photograph the sandwich on some of that green plastic matting you get at the driving range.

Ocean11. I saw that too, but you're wrong on 1 point there - the discussions were all about the new product that they are planning for summer, not the current "new items"...

Veronica, you have a very casual and wide definition of 'food'.

Put a cheese burger and a fresh apple in a dark, dry place out of reach of rodents etc. Leave them for 6 months. Return and have a look at what you see. The apple will have almost gone due to the natural process of decay. The cheese burger will be a hard dried up version of its former self... no decay... not food.

Haven't had Mc'D's but tofu burgers are good and relatively nutricious. If your gonna fast food...Burger King is my pick. Non in Sendai though " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

STOMACH, thanks for the correction. You have an apt handle...

I think 'new menu' has to be one of the cleverest coups of the Marketing department though. The company comes out with a slight variation of a very tired theme, and they call it a 'new menu' and generate huge, and totally unwarranted publicity.

Beware the tofu burger is not what it seems-there's chicken in it. Rotton Ronnies is a pretty low form of "food" but it's cheap and seems to always be there when I'm in a hurry and in need of food unfortunately.

Fattwins,

Thanks for that lead mate. 11 billion Oreos are eaten each year - Im sure back when I was in college I accounted for about half of that but for havent eaten those things in like 5 or 6 years.

Fast food is awful - but Mos Burger is good cuz its not fast clap.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Burger King is my pick. Non in Sendai though " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />
Kintaro, don't worry there is none anywhere in Japan! BK pulled out of Japan about 2 years ago.