Generally speaking Japan is reasonably safe from thievery... however two things that will always get stolen are umbrellas and bicycles.

I love the sound of rain falling on the roof, except when it's a tin roof and I'm trying to record.... (makes for interesting background filler on playback....)

We've just had a thunder and rain storm, and the damn much-loved, poetic, soothing rain slamming down on a tin roof was so fricken loud I couldn't even hear my music with headphones on!

It depends on the year really. Some years it goes on and on and never seems to stop. Other years it's hardly noticeable and the announcement that it's ended seems totally irrelevant.

WOW it came down this evening! It was raining so hard that in my 5 block walk from the stn to house (no umbrella) I got so wet I had to take off my pants before coming inside! The puddle crossing the street were up to my ankles.

You guys may think it rains a lot in Seattle but we never get rain like that.

Sometimes I think the Japanese dont even know.Someone in Tokyo looks at a calendar goes "righto the rainy season just officially started" and then a few weeks later says "today the rainy season officially ended". Even though it had rained more before and after that period.

Same tosser has a brother working at for the railways who on an arbitary autumn day says "righto summer is officially over" and switches the train air con from cool to heat even though its a stinking hot day. Another tosser on NHK will tell the faithful that its now winter and many automatically change their wardrobes over and start wearing scarves meanwhile its nice and warm! I am still in short sleeves and shorts.

Amazing!

They do know kamoshika - its always top of the news when the season "officially starts". Not long now, I really don't like rainy season.

Is it true there is no rainy season up there in Hokkaido? Nice.