I dont like it but it is conducive to parties. When its raining you just sit inside with your friends - add some booze and fun! And because its raining the next day too you can loll in bed with a hangover watching tv and not feel like you want to/should do something active because its pissing with rain. ahhhh every cloud has a silver lining \:\)

I am looking forward to rainy season. It will give a chance to use the drizza-bone that I bought last year before coming here. I was told that it pisses down all the time in Japan (by someone that lived in Tokyo for a few years). He stressed the need for a good rain coast.

I think he had been mentally stolen by the "Japanese weather fascination"

I hope it pelts down and I can cruise the streets with nothing but wet feet.

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
And because its raining the next day too you can loll in bed with a hangover watching tv
good to hear you are making do with what you have got.

Don't worry, you will meet someone soon.

hate the rainy season! unlike you zwelly, ive gotta 30 minute cycle ride to school in the bloody stuff and just end up soaked to the bone. the clothes dont bother me too much cause i get changed at school but mi trainers just end up stinking for the whole of summer. putting on wet trainers when youre going home is absolutely gross.

none of these are as bad as the humid summers though!

Rain falling on a tin roof has to be one of the nicest sounds to wake up to. It also has a soothing and calming effect that helps you relax when you are getting to sleep as well. Great stuff

:rolleyes: Complete bollocks. It's a horrible sound. I don't mind rain particularly, but I hate having to listen to it falling on some inadequate structure, like a Japanese house for instance.

Ocean! I do not comprehend, for me it is the nicest way to fall alseep.

Even better is rain on the tent when you are camping.

Not nice however is the sound of rain falling on your face as you sleep outside in the hammock (something I did rather often back in Oz).

I don't like getting wet all the time.

And everyone starts to smell in rainy reason for some reason. You know that wet, damp kind of smell. mad.gif

to the cyclist:

why dont you buy some waterproof trousers and jacket to wear over your clothes?

I LOVE THE SOUND OF HEAVY RAIN ON A SNUG EVENING INDOORS WITH THE GIRLFRIEND! If I could make it rain at those times, I would.

The last surf trip I was on we camped the whole week and it rained every night without fail. It was warm and humid but the surf was pumping and with the soft pitter patter of rain on the roof of the 2 man tent I was asleep in no time ready for the early the next day. Awesome.

For all that it has a monsoon (er, sorry, only Asians have them, ahem, a 'rainy season'), Japan is not very well equipped for dealing with it. You try and find anywhere in a company to dry your soaked cycling gear, and you'll soon be the No.1 Public Enemy.

And of course you're not allowed to wear your plastic flipflops either that are ideally suited to monsoon weather.

Long trousers and warm rain don't go together very well either.

But that's not something I have to worry about anymore...

they do have tiny handbag umbrellas...

i was always perplexed when i first arrived, and i caught the subway in the morn, surrounded by umbrellaless commuters, and when it pissed down in the arvo, everyone was fully equipped.

i hate umbrellas, awkward and a hassle, and dont follow u if u forget them.

i refuse to buy a new umbrella on the assumption that there are more umbrellas in japan than people.

subsequently i can often find a punter willing to give me one of their spares.

Yep, i love the sound of rain as well. It's been raining for about 5 days straight now. It's been damn heavy and we have had flash floods in some areas. Despite all the chaos, i love going to be bed when the rain is coming down. So soothing, and so warm in your bed.

I figured the law in Japan stated that all umbrellas are common property. Therefore if you leave the house and it is not raining, don't take an umbrella. If it starts to come down just grab the nearest one you see. Clear skies? Leave the umbrella in the nearest convenient holder and go on your merry way.