Well, you were buying it at a kebab shop, so you can't expect much, can you? ;\)

Of the restaurant pizza I've had in central Tokyo, I'd rate these as OK:

Pizza Salvatore (in Akasaka)

Piccolo Grande (in Azabu Juban)

Il Pacioccone (in Minami Aoyama)

For delivery:

Brendan's Pizzakaya (in Nishi-azabu)

As good as those are though, they are only a smidgen of the quality of a NY slice " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

oh yes, I have been there. I sat outside on a sunny day and had nice pasta. It reminded me a little of Sydney. I will return for the pizza.

(great directions, by the way!)

Quote:
Originally posted by danz:
I was just back in the states...west coast...now west coast pizza aint got nothing on a good NY slice, but it was way better than anything I can get here!
Actually Vancouver has NY style pizza by the slice that can hold a candle to NY.

In Seattle we like our artsy pizza joints where we put grilled chicken, pine nuts, dried cranberries, and apple slices on our pizza.
 Quote:
Originally posted by mogski:
Winnebaegoes Pizza Place in downtown Queesntown or CHCH NZ if you want a great pizza.
Winnebagoes in Christchurch! very good gourmet pizza. Chicken chilli Shrimp....yum

I've been to a couple of places where they had imported clay ovens from Italy and in one the pizza chef had trained in Naples. No strange combos either.

But, since I got a bread maker, I make my own - fantastic! Grow the ruccola and basil in the garden, add some buffalo mozzarella, black olives, chopped tomatoes and a drizzle of olive oil - yum!

I've had awful pizza in Japan, desperately bad.

On the other hand, there's a great delivery service in the next town to me that make a great pizza - really delicious.

one of my roommates in college worked at place called peace a pizza that sold gourmet pizzas by the slice- fresh basil and mozzarella, cheeseburger, taco, bbq chicken, etc. every night he would bring home the leftover pizzas- usually equal to like three whole pies. it was perfect for latenight munchies except i gained too much weight that semester.

anyways, back to the topic- i have found one place in japan with pretty good pizza- normal toppings, cheesy, and big enough to fill you up (or maybe you are supposed to share it and not eat it all yourself). ocean11-- it was in suwa- dunno the name, but its on the road that goes around the lake, on the second floor of a building that looks like it would be a german restaurant. oishii yo!

• 4 weeks later...

My best pizza was in Finland.

Reindeer meat on a thin crust with a Lappin Beer.

The Fins make surprisingly good pizza. Best I have had.

And if Vancouver has NY syle Pizza then I wouldn't be bragging about it. $1 slices. I think the pepporoni may be from rodents.