Probably. There are some restaurants that do good ones and don't put Tabasco on the table with it (baaaaad sign). We even had a frozen one the other day that was great - soft but not fluffy base (with genuine stretch marks), a very tangy tomato sauce, and nice cheese. Nothing else, but because all the components were top quality, it was delish.

I ate part of a 'wafu' one recently too -- shimeji mushrooms, onions, and cheese, sprinkled with nori and a wasabi/soy sauce. The first piece was like "Mmmm, interesting. They have succeeded in making a Japanese pizza". Into the second piece I thought "Can we scrape all this shit off the top and get some tomato and cheese involved please??"

I would like to see a NY-style, mom-and-pop pizzeria where you can buy pizza by the slice. I think that the pizza has come a long way since I first came here (or maybe I'm just finding better places), but a quick, hot slice is still missing. \:\(

Winnebaegoes Pizza Place in downtown Queesntown or CHCH NZ if you want a great pizza.

Here in Japan I suffice with Pizza La.

Very important topic! Yes! they are getting better. The best pizzaria I've ever been to..anywhere.. exists just 5 minutes from my house. I've also been to a good place in Tokyo, Ginza. Sorry, I can't remember the name but it was in the "B1" basement off a side street.

BTW...in private life my nickname is Pizzataro! I'm not quite as obsessive as Cheeseman but I do love pizza :p Personally, corn or tuna on a pizza is down right nasty.

Quote:
Originally posted by Goemon:
I would like to see a NY-style, mom-and-pop pizzeria where you can buy pizza by the slice. I think that the pizza has come a long way since I first came here (or maybe I'm just finding better places), but a quick, hot slice is still missing. \:\(
...either that or it's been too long since you've been back and had a slice of deliciously greasy new york pizza.

as long as mayo on a pizza is still an option, then no progress has been made...yuck!

I was just back in the states...west coast...now west coast pizza aint got nothing on a good NY slice, but it was way better than anything I can get here!

danz

Quote:
Originally posted by viv&kev:
If people don't like it, and it doesn't sell, they wouldn't make it.
This is JAPAN!!! It is not a consumer demand oriented market!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been to NYC once. The pizza experience is still with me... just like Goemon describes. It is so much better than any pizza I have had anywhere.

For those in Sydney: Arthurs Pizza on Oxford Street Paddo is pretty good. There is also a good one on Crown Street in Surry Hills (opposite that little park with the stray junkies, futher down the road from the Dolphin Hotel). Old Castile pizza is totally over-rated.

Back to the topic: I have been craving the NY buy-by-the-slice pizza ever since I tried it. There is nothing else like it. To me, NY is the pizza capital of the globe (excluding the boot shaped country).

As for Japanese pizza. I had a good little number in an Italian restaurant in Akasaka. The only "we make pizza" place I have been to was Shakys and it was pathetic.

Hey - someone explain what is so amazing about NY pizza? I am not doubting, just very curious as to what is so good??

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
why dont they do an Aussie pizza. They could put kangaroo and all the other cuddly stuff on it too!
Nearly laughed my anko pie right out into my keyboard there...

When I was in NY, I didn't try the pizza but I had the cheesecake for breakie and didn't need or want anything else all day. Sublime. I did eat in a very cheap Italian place and it was excellent, so I have no doubt the pizza slice is good too. But, do they sell so many that every slice is hot and fresh? This is my concern...

viv&kev, you didn't get what mogski said, did yous? ;\)

My wife and I were at a NY pizza shop..the 100th floor of the World Trade Center 27 days b/f 9/11. I can visualize the faces of those who took our order. I hope they are alive!

Ferns pizza in British Columbia. The pizza is over an inch thick. 1/3 os crust the other 2/3 is toppings. They sometimes have to part cook the meat before they put it on. yum but it could be why i was 5 kgs heavier when I lived there.