This may not be the case for you Tokyoites and city dwellers, but out here in the sticks, often the gaijin become minor (or major) celebrities. Just wondering to what extent some of you guys are (or not as the case may be).

Basically in my town 95% people know me, what I eat (because of reports on my shopping), who I meet, etc etc - everything.

Gets on my nerves a bit.

i did notice that the 'staring effect' as i call it does occur more when one is in the sticks.

down in my town, us gaijin just blend into the scenery! know one gives a turd apart from the odd toddler.

I am in a way, small community, everyone knows about me. Like the other person said, knows what I buy at the supermarket, knows when I go out to a local restaurant etc.

Slightly. Everyone knows at least of me. I hate it when I can't buy anything in the local supermarket without everyone knowing and telling me about it the next day.

\:o

Yeah everyone knows who stays at my house, what I eat for dinner, what rubbish I throw away (see through rubbish bags) and when I cut my weeds people comment on it. At first it really phased me, got me a bit on the defence and wary of everything I do, but then I just decided F it and at the end of the day I dont really cares who knows what I do.

i always try to pass on longwinded gems of advice to the kids that play out the front of my house. the children always seem mesmorised by my presence and hang on my every word, regardless of the intensity of their frivolity moments before. perhaps they think i am famous!?