Why do some people actually want to go work in the miliary?

It is difficult for me to understand why someone want to do that. For me, I would personally do about everything else before doing that.

I am interested in trying to understand it.

hide

I'm not into it myself but one of my old school mates joined the military after school. We were all forced to do "cadets" at school for at least one year. It is basically a junior army type thing but you dont get weapons training and all that crap.

As to why he joined the military - im not sure. I never really asked him. It's just what he always wanted to do.

Lots of reasons.

You get paid reasonably well for doing a lot of stuff outdoors. You keep fit and do some physically extreme and challenging things. You get to use some pretty cool equipment. There's a clear career progression if you work hard and don't f*ck up. Also there's the feeling that you're doing something necessary for your country but that a lot of other people don't want to do. You can feel good about protecting your own and other people's freedoms. In the forces, your social life is pretty much taken care of too, which can be appealing. Those are some of the positive aspects. Needless to say, people also find out the negative aspects, sooner or later.

Why, you thinking of joining 'Japan's finest'?

Not bad, Ocean. I bet you and I are similar in more ways than you'd like to think. I've got a friend with me here who'd give his life for the oath he made. If I think about it, I'd do it too well, maybe. We don't do what we are told, we act on what our fathers dictate. Sad, eh? I like to think that we think freely. I try and do my best. You can't fault a country for a few individuals.

PS - I hate Bush. I hate the US government. You and the Aussies are involved too. Why when I say I hate it, I get shit? Simplistic? Yes, but this is a message board. Your clear hatridge for us is ridiculous.

Plucky, I don't hate you, you annoy me. There's a huge difference. You annoy me because you never seem to acknowledge the substance of anything I say. I have criticised the UK's position. It's no better than that of the US. Blair is clearly a liar and murderous bastard. But you don't seem to see what I'm saying at all. Do you want to be called anti-British simply for disagreeing with me?

I'm not a pacifist at all, and I would happily take up arms against an aggressor (believe me when I say this - I was a shithot gunner). But not on the say-so of some dumb, lying politician, and not in somebody else's country. I simply believe that soldiers should have higher standards than they do. Most of them that have leave the military - I've known several. The military cannot accept the depth of their integrity, and seeks to abuse it. It also preys on younger people who haven't had a chance to develop integrity. It's the same in any country.

Jesus H. Christ, does every thread have to turn into more bashing (for/against) the US/UK and their policies? What the Fck! mad.gif

Back to Hides original question: Ocean was spot on with his characterization. I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for a lot of US military seeing as I've spent nearly 24 years in the military now. Most folks initially join to earn money for an education,

and most plan to get out after their first 3-6 year hitch.

Most US military do not join with the intention of fighting a war and don't plan to put their own lives at risk, but will do so when asked. Since 9-11 however, I do believe the percentage of those volunteering to serve in the US military are doing so to "protect their country" is increasing.

Me personally - I joined over 23 years ago with the intent on getting an education and learning a skill I could use in civilian life. I did get both, but found out that life in the Air Force, isn't bad and the guarenteed paycheck every two weeks along with 30 days paid vacation and every American holiday off too was worth staying in. I don't regret it at all. Here in Japan, I live off the base and get extra money to pay my house and utility bills, have no bills, and get to go snowboarding or jet skiing every weekend where ever I want while still throwing $3000 a month into a savings account. The military has treated me well - I've lived in 4 different countries, visited many many more, and will get a nearly $3000 monthly retirement check when I retire in 2 years at age 44. Not wall street money, but I can buy a lot of gas for my jet skis on $3000 a month. And I'll still be young enough to go do something else if I want...

I have a jet skiing friend up here thats in the JASDAF. He hates it, but its a guarenteed paycheck for him too. He did say though that if Japan ever went to war, he'd run cause he doesn't want to die. Told me most of his co-workers feel like him too.

It sounds like you're well sorted there Ray!

It's a shame about the JASDF, because they may actually have to defend their country some day and they're not prepared at all. If it comes down to it, I'd volunteer...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Plucky, I don't hate you, you annoy me. There's a huge difference. You annoy me because you never seem to acknowledge the substance of anything I say. I have criticised the UK's position. It's no better than that of the US. Blair is clearly a liar and murderous bastard. But you don't seem to see what I'm saying at all. Do you want to be called anti-British simply for disagreeing with me?

I'm not a pacifist at all, and I would happily take up arms against an aggressor (believe me when I say this - I was a shithot gunner). But not on the say-so of some dumb, lying politician, and not in somebody else's country. I simply believe that soldiers should have higher standards than they do. Most of them that have leave the military - I've known several. The military cannot accept the depth of their integrity, and seeks to abuse it. It also preys on younger people who haven't had a chance to develop integrity. It's the same in any country.
I don't usually acknowledge what you say because you are so blindly anti-american. This is the first board I've been to where the hatred is so obvious. Maybe I'm not handling it that great. You and Db just spout shit that is so hateful, yet you regard yourselves as these liberal peace keepers. I got tired of it. But your influence on this board led a lot of the 'sheep' on here to agree with you. Got tired of that too.

It's come to the point where nobody takes in and discusses where they are from. It's all....**** bush, **** the US, we're so great, I hate all US people...It's just old. Just because we are different and have different moral values, does that give you the right to to hash on us so hard? It's just a different viewpoint. Even when I agree with you, you still put me down. Ray makes some very good arguments and almost everyone on here roastes him. Nice liberal thinking. We are We. Stop with the putdowns and try to argue responsibly.
 Quote:
But your influence on this board led a lot of the 'sheep' on here to agree with you. Got tired of that too.

lol.gif lol.gif

You are sooooooo wrong. No offense Mr Ocean11, but why on earth would people come on to a forum and be 'sheep' just to agree with a heavy posting member. lol.gif lol.gif

I'm from the US, but posts like that are just laughable. I see no overt anti-Americanism here whatsoever, no "hatred" - just lots of interesting and intelligent talk for the most part on topics like this one.

If you are seeing hatred, it seems to me that you might just be a little too sensitive about certain things, whatever they are.

And also, if you dislike it so much --- why do you keep coming back? confused.gif

I can't see any hatred or strong anti-US here.

What I can see is people who will never be able to agree on subjects such as these because of their strongly held beliefs. Some of those people are better at posting and responding than others are. Sometimes small misunderstandings cause a topic to go off on a tangent, or bring on further misunderstandings. It's going to happen when people are writing.

But all very entertaining.

Ooops....

I wonder if that makes me a sheep or a subject of The Mighty O11. ;\)

We don't get cheese allowances, but we do get a food allowance which we can buy cheese with.

Black hawk down is a good movie OC. Very accurate and realistic from my point of view. It doesn't really focus on politics. I think the street combat scenes are very close to what the guys in Iraq experienced in some locations. How'd you like it?

Ray, it's very well made, and gripping to watch. Simple things like deciding what kit to take and what to dump really had implications, eh?

Trouble is, if you separate the politics and background and focus just on the action, you get a very skewed view. I read the parts of the book that are/were available on the Baltimore Sun website, and I preferred that.

I had the extreme pleasure of returning to Japan from Guam on the Kitty Hawk aircraft carrier. It took 4 days 3 nights, I bunked in the "coffin" ate the ship grub and got to see some damn cool stuff.

BUT pulling into Yokosuka I was glad to get off the ship and decided that 4 days was just about enough. The monotony of the place, the drab metal everything and the meat heads that were on the ship. Dont get me wrong there were some really nice people I met, but the chicks were some of the hardest bitches that Ive ever met and the guys were mostly pretty stupid in my humble opinion. This isnt a reflection on american or american military people but just the type of people that are grunts in any countrys armed forces. Most people were under about 24, loads of high school drop outs that didnt really know where NZ was etc... that alone would drive me nuts, just spending so much time around people that just werent my cuppa tea.

The irony was however that the ships store had better stuff than I can get in my town in Japan!

>>You and Db just spout shit that is so hateful, yet you regard yourselves as these liberal peace keepers

Oh good god.

I was actually not very vocal at all in my Iraq related posts.

The only time I have really stressed a strong opinion on America has been with my economic outlook. As is typical with mass American psyche these day, any negative view of anticipated facts relating to America are seen as "hateful".

Plucky, this thread started with a Q regarding working in the forces. You responded to Ocean's post and like me, you agree with him. Then you tacked on a psotscript that was entirely off-topic and asked for even more weak personality attention seeking. This thread had nothing to do with America, but you want it to. You have a real habit of carrying on like a pork chop. Now that was aimed at YOU, Plucky, not America, not your flag, not your government etc etc. YOU.

I do not think I need to say much in response anyway. Your own country men have already spoken very well.

By the way, I currently have an American fellow living with me. I think I have teased him a little, but I really doubt if he could claim and prove that I am anti-American in the way you claim. Full of hate for America? The word America almost never crosses my mind. It is you that keep bringing it up.

ps - your first post on this site was a trouble causing attempt. You have not changed.

Zwelgen - but what about the jets? Surely being so close to the jetfighters 'n' stuff would have been pretty cool. Loud too I suspect.

Hide - people join the military for a whole bunch of reasons, much like they join any profession or career. There are plenty of jobs in the military for guys who are not very smart but who can left heavy things (a bit like Plucky). If you spend 5 minutes talking to the average artillery soldier you will know what I mean. At the same time there are some very bright and capable people in the military (eg. Neil Armstrong et al). Often people have good reasons (education, travel etc) but probably just as often it is just because joining the military was the best thing going at the time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
You and Db just spout shit that is so hateful, yet you regard yourselves as these liberal peace keepers.
 Quote:
Originally posted by db:
I really doubt if he could claim and prove that I am anti-American in the way you claim.
db is not anti-American...and he is certainly not a liberal peace keeper.

...even if he doesn't know how many states there are. \:D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kambei:
Zwelgen - but what about the jets? Surely being so close to the jetfighters 'n' stuff would have been pretty cool. Loud too I suspect.

There are plenty of jobs in the military for guys who are not very smart but who can left heavy things (a bit like Plucky). If you spend 5 minutes talking to the average artillery soldier you will know what I mean.
Yeah the jets were cool, and standing on the deck about 30m or so away watching them catapult off and burn off into the sunset is something that Ill still remember when Im an old lady. It was cool but I would guess the novelty would wear off after about a week. It was good to experience it for a few days and I count myself very very lucky but to do that day in day out for years would drive me over the edge.

And yes the majority of people were pretty thick (not saying you are though plucky!). I think more than the job the bozos that Id be working with would really piss me off. That would be my main piece of advice to someone thinking of joining up, unless of course they fell into the thick category :p

You can call them what you want.

Im not saying that they are bad people nor that they are all bozos but that the majority werent the type of people Id want to spend 24/7 with them for 6 months at a time. Nice eye candy though! Until they open their mouths...