OK I get some Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate sent to me for my birthday. Give some to Ms Green, she's Japanese, and to my shock she tells me she cannot tell the difference between it and a normal Meiji chocolate! Not at all!!

For me they are TOTALLY different, am I alone here or am I imagining it?

NZ Cadburies is good! it must be the green grass that makes the cows produce fine milk. Its easily distinguishable from others choco. Japanese chocolate is good on the scale. Hersheys is at the bottom of the scale, too much sugar and not enough cocoa.

ROYCE from Hokkaido must the best soft fudge chocolate! anyone had Royce, that stuff is the bomb!

I'm not that keen on Dairy Milk myself. I don't think it tastes particularly chocolatey, nor particularly milky compared with some of the Japanese chocolate. It's also a bit too sweet. What I really don't like about it is its shape. That 'tank trap' shape it has makes it hard to bite, and it digs into the top of your palate.

I try to avoid eating chocolate these days anyway...

I think cadburys is the creme de la creme of chocolate. I can honestly say that I have never had better (and having the worst sweet tooth ever I have eating choco from many lands). But perhaps its like rice or green tea. I cant tell the difference between differnt rices and am not a conoseur. Perhaps Ms Green isnt wise in the way of chocolate. Please excuse her.

The "tank trap" ocean is a saver. It means you have to break bits off rather than scoffing straight off the bar.

Honey nougat Cadburys is my fav mmmmmmmmmmmm

im partial to a bit of lindt extra dark thins. my room mate brought a truckload back from germany and its just been sitting in the fridge for months.

dont really like japanese chocolate that much...except meltykiss, that stuff rocks.

forgive me if i'm being naive, but is Cadbury's chocolate made in NZ?? Being that the Cadbury egg is such an american fixture around easter, I always thought, growing up, that Cadbury's was for sure an american chocolate company. I recently bought some caramello at an import grocery store here, and the address on the label said Cadbury Inc., NZ. This has turned my world on it's end... say it ain't so!!

kankei nai, but... Dars is my fav among j-choco. Milk chocolatey.... mmmmmm.

Quote:
Whose Chocolate Is Made by Slaves?
Even with the progress represented by the chocolate industry's plan, it will take years for chocolate products to become "slave-free." In the meantime, is there any way for chocolate consumers to know that they are not consuming products made with child slavery?

A 2001 inquiry into the cocoa sources used by 200 major chocolate manufacturers found significant differences between companies. The $13 billion US chocolate industry is heavily dominated by just two firms - Hershey's and M&M Mars - that control two-thirds of the market. Unfortunately, both of these companies fall into the category of those companies using large amounts of Ivory Coast cocoa. Their products are almost certainly produced in part by slavery.

Hershey Foods Corp., the nation's largest chocolate maker, says it is "shocked" and "deeply concerned" that its Hershey's Kisses, Nuggets, chocolate bars and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups may be made with cocoa produced by child slaves. The company, which has a long history of involvement with children, says it is deeply embarrassed by revelations of indirect involvement with child slavery. (Hershey Foods, which has a market capitalization on Wall Street of $8.4 billion, is affiliated with a school for orphaned and disadvantaged children, established in 1909 by company founder Milton S. Hershey and his wife Catherine.)

M&M Mars and Hershey Foods Corp. are not alone. Other companies whose chocolate is almost certainly tainted with child slavery include: ADM Cocoa, Ben & Jerry's, Cadbury Ltd., Chocolates by Bernard Callebaut, Fowler's Chocolate, Godiva, Guittard Chocolate Company, Kraft, Nestlé, See's Candies, The Chocolate Vault and Toblerone. While most of these companies have issued condemnations of slavery, and expressed a great deal of moral outrage that it exists in the industry, they each have acknowledged that they use Ivory Coast cocoa and so have no grounds to ensure consumers that their products are slavery-free.

Mars, Hershey and Nestlé say that there is no way they can control the labor practices of their suppliers. But there are other chocolate companies that manage to do so. These companies include Clif Bar, Cloud Nine, Dagoba Organic Chocolate, Denman Island Chocolate, Divine, Gardners Candies, Green and Black's, Kailua Candy Company, Koppers Chocolate, L.A. Burdick Chocolates, Montezuma's Chocolates, Newman's Own Organics, Omanhene Cocoa Bean Company, Rapunzel Pure Organics and The Endangered Species Chocolate Company.

At present, no organic cocoa beans are coming from Ivory Coast, so organic chocolate is unlikely to be tainted by slavery. Newman's Own Organics, one of the largest of the slavery-free companies, purchases its chocolate from the Organic Commodity Project in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which buys from Costa Rica where the farms are closely monitored.
i'm just trying to cause trouble ;\)