They open next week actually. I almost always go the first weekend in May. I have a good feeling about this year.

Have you ever been to Gassan gamera? I always make a day of it. There are many oishii soba-ya's around there and the views from the mountain are spectacular. There are also many onsen's to choose from.

Gassan is located in Yamagata. It is open from April to the end of July. There is only one lift and an additional t-bar lift at the top that you have to pay an extra 200 yen each time you use it. The snow, although plentiful, generally isn't very good and the terrain is basically just a treeless, vast open space. Gassan litterally means 'moon mountain.' The walk from the parking lot to the lift is about 1 km going uphill through snow. It's quite a hike. The ONLY thing good about Gassan is the fact that you can still ski/board late into summer and the spectacular views from the top. It certainly isn't for everyone. If you go, I reccomend taking sunblock.

Gassan will open 10th of April, they just finished removing 11 meter! snow around steel tower of the lift yesterday. 11 meter!!

I've been there once in summer but we didn't ski. It's a pretty mountain. I'd love to ski there.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I went last Monday. The snow conditions are really good this year. Had a great boarding session. However, that hike from the parking lot to the lift house left me with some giant blisters on both feet. I will be going again in couple of weeks. Fattwins, I'm sorry, don't know...haven't made it to the top yet.

Sure, I have room. You just have to get yourself to Sendai. I will pm you when I decide when I'm going again. most likely Monday the 30th.

Cheers!