I really meant WE in terms of 'us people in general'.

If one assumes that abortion is wrong, and one also accepts the realities of the situations that have been painted here, then one must consider how to cope with that without the need for abortion.

zwelgen, I believe there are already laws about parenthood, although they're weakly enforced in most countries. I'd prefer to see politicians and the grassroots working to have them enforced properly rather than the conservative politician's grandstanding about abortion itself. (Also, I should add that my missus thought I would kill our boy if left alone with him, either out of carelessness or frustration. I know plenty of other fathers with the same experience. Women might do well to drop that line if they want parenting partners.)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ocean - You seem to get some joy out of being custodian of all smart ass comebacks delivered on this forum. You speak as though your word is final and most that mix with you on this forum are subordinate. You are well entitled to be that way, but it is pretty unpleasant to be around. If this were the real world I would have left the room by now to seek a nicer atmosphere... regardless of whether I agreed with you or not.

Some people do tend to have personal outbursts when confronted with people like you who lack conversational grace when it comes to expressing opinion. Seldom are your opinion pieces anything more than cleverly worded exercises in being obnoxious whilst maintaining an escape route. For the most they seem composed purely to antagonise an already emotive issue.

Not clever, not interesting, not mature. Yet it seems to appeal very much to you in the virtual world. Stange fetish.

db, if you don't have any response to the arguments I've posted, in all sincerity, in this thread, then at least spare me your analysis of my personality. If you DO have any relevant points to make, then why can't you simply make them, as a number of other people have managed to do? Arguments are furthered by discussion, not by whining and finger pointing. I thought YOU knew that.

I hear your whingeing loud and clear db. I'm not impressed. There's nothing like a bit of posturing as the People's Posse for the biggest get-out when your arguments are bankrupt and you can think of nothing relevant to say.

I look forward to you getting your sense of humour back.

Yeah, I much preferred the civil argument, lets see if we can put in perspective.

Nothing that anyone says here is going to change the world. Most of these arguments have been spoken a thousand times before. If people think about important issues like this calmly, then it is easier to gain understanding.

I like talking about issues like this on this forum, as in the Japanese countryside, it is my only outlet for intelligent dialog.

I think that the less personal a discussion like this gets, the better, but of course I know that is difficult, when dealing with such a personal issue.

What occured to me, is how much this discussion mirrors that of lawmakers. Here we have a group of educated people, mostly men, discussing the merits for and agains abortion. Nobody can agree, but there should really be no pressure here, as we are not deciding anything.

I for one find the actual arguments very interesting. If I can learn something, I am happy.

• 4 weeks later...

I am pro choice.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that anti abortion people are Mainly Christian. I am not sure if this is true but correct me if I am wrong. Why does the Christian religian insist on imposing its views onto all of humanity. They are one religion amidst numerous others.

And what follows has been said numerous times so far, but now from my mouth.

As for abortion being murder. I believe that until a baby takes a breath it is not alive.

I hope my ramblings make sense lol.gif

I am pro choice too. It's just a question of the timing of your choice.

There are plenty of people who are not befuddled by the nonsense of Christianity who are yet able to see that human offspring are human and not mice or tadpoles, and are alive and breathing through the umbilical cord, and are worthy of respect. I know plenty of people who are not Christian, myself included, who can see this.

If you make 'taking the first breath' the criteria, then I suppose you would happily subject your offspring to the loophole of 'partial birth abortion' whereby you let all but its head out of the mother, skillfully drive a hollow spike into its brain to suck it out and crush its skull from the inside, and then pull out the remains. "Gotcha, you never breathed sucker!"

Choices choices...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

If you make 'taking the first breath' the criteria, then I suppose you would happily subject your offspring to the loophole of 'partial birth abortion' whereby you let all but its head out of the mother, skillfully drive a hollow spike into its brain to suck it out and crush its skull from the inside, and then pull out the remains. "Gotcha, you never breathed sucker!"
You got to have a pretty sick mind to come up with something like this. I'm sorry but this was probably uncalled for.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I am pro choice too. It's just a question of the timing of your choice.

There are plenty of people who are not befuddled by the nonsense of Christianity who are yet able to see that human offspring are human and not mice or tadpoles, and are alive and breathing through the umbilical cord, and are worthy of respect. I know plenty of people who are not Christian, myself included, who can see this.

Choices choices...
There are also plenty of people who refuse to admit or understand how much their cultural identity, laws, morality etc. stem from the religious background of their country. Our emotional understanding of life is founded upon national (in Britains case largely christian) ideals, so no argument with a level of emotive input will be religion free, regardless of self-perceived notions of religious autonomy.
 Quote:
Originally posted by ILiveToSki:
You got to have a pretty sick mind to come up with something like this. I'm sorry but this was probably uncalled for.
I didn't come up with something like that. Somebody else did. It's called 'partial birth abortion', which some people still are in favour of. That's the sort of thing moral loopholes lead to.

miteyak, nonsense. Wherever any particular religion stands on abortion, it reflects the logical human taboo against taking human life, and not the other way round. The hoops that so-called pro-choice people jump through involves more mysticism than anything that religious people generally come up with. I don't know about you miteyak, but I was brought up in a fairly anti-religious family, and had nothing but contempt for the attempts of my school to make me Christian. That didn't stop me however from considering where 'christian' morality was right and wrong. What about your views and religion? How is it our views are opposed even though we both come from the same county (well, sort of)?

The difference in our opinions, however large, come from a hairs breadth in ideological separation. The freedom of individual thought and action are the same. The point at which one gains those rights is the point of contention.

A hairs breadth but a huge divide... the avon gorge stands between us on this...

You're quite right ender, that's what normally happens. But abortion is not a natural procedure. The baby's legs are grabbed with foreceps so that they can be pulled out first.

There's plenty of information about it online, explaining how and why it is performed. In some cases it may even be necessary to protect the woman if the baby's head is unnaturally swollen and it will die anyway.

• 1 month later...

There are quite many case like this. Maybe it is best not to know to avoid disappointed and sad feeling about it.

I only worry that it is increase also especially with younger people.;

• 5 months later...

Just taking a look back over this thread because the (Japanese, 22) girl sat next to me at work just had an abortion and is pretty much joking about it, which seems really off.

There seems to be a really lightweight attitude towards the issue \:\(