Losing weight - counting those calories

Hey, I'm still doing the jogging thing every evening and eating better/less as well. Almost always hungry. But I am losing weight. How much, I don't know but everyone can tell so it seems.

My next question - can anyone help out?

About how many calories do I - mid-sized male in his late 20s - use up in a day? If I am NOT doing any exercise, just going about living normally?

And how many calories will I use up by jogging 30-40 minutes every evening, 4+km?

Can anyone give me any insight at all?

Many thanks!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi TheOrange,

What I want to know about you is how much body fat you lost.

I'm sure you lost your weight and body fat, too.

Do you have a body fat scale? I have been trying to lose my body fat and less eating carbs.

You can see topic "carboholic" and some people introduced me nice books. It'll help you, too!

;\)

TheOrange....nice to see someone trying to manage their weight by increasing the amount of calories they burn rather than just restricting what goes in their mouth. Good luck with it.

I know the Atkins Diet is very popular at the moment but my advice is stay well clear of it. Yes you can lose a lot of weight, but my experience is that it negatively affects your lifestyle through lack of energy and general tiredness.

Eat sensibly, exercise and you'll be fine.

PS: As Slow suggests, watching your body fat percentage is a much better indication of your overall health than simply weighing yourself.

Good luck.

But those body fat percentages that you can use are only following the height & weight chart and is not very accurate. Its better than nothing though, as I have never seen body fat calipers (???) that we usually use to measure fat %.

I think the calipers are a little old school - I got wired up and to a contraption and it told me my fat, water, lean mass proportions etc..

I think it works by measureing your impediance at various frequecies but I could be wrong.

i always thought it was 2500 calories a day for an average guy.

thats like 2 spag bogs from lawson, a light breakfast and a few beers or snacks.

Assuming you're not a manual labouer, about 2000 calories a day would be a good target to aim for. Try to evenly spread the calories. Best to have a big breaky, medium lunch and a small dinner. (which, in reality will lead to a fairly even spread. \:\)

Thanks.

RIght now I have small breakfast, small lunch and (smaller than usual) dinner. = always hungry!

Then going out for my nightly jog.

Would be great to know how much calories I use in a day doing nothing.

Just a warning though dont eat too little or your metabolism will slow down and then all your hard work will be for nothing and then if you go back to usual then youll pack on the weight.

Respect the metabolism

Hey man,

This is always a good place to ask about a variety of subjects we all seem to know a little about...but there are a ton of exercise and diet forums out there on the internet that would be able to answer your questions with much more authority. Not telling you to go away by any means - just giving you some more advice.

Definitely watch out for slowed metabolism! If you are always hungry than you are in danger. If your metabolism slows you will be burning far fewer calories. Also I mentioned it before but you really want your body to burn fat calories. If you are taking in a lot of carbos (especially processed sugars) than your body will just burn those and you won't lose much around the waist.

I am not recommending this diet necessarily (or way of life as they like to put it) but it worth going to www.atkinscenter.com to at least read the theory behind it.

Antonio - I am interested to hear more about your experience with Atkins. Did you go at it full force? For how long?

Any diet needs balance. I hate that word diet. Exercise, Watch your fatty intake, dont use alot of oil when cooking. When you full dont go for the second helping just cause it tastes so good.

Keep a good balance of vitiam intake.

The best advice is take it easy. A healthy body is a lifestyle not a quick fix. The changes in leptin levels, metabolism, cortisol, etc when changing your diet can give misleading results regarding weight loss/sustainability. Unless you really want to get anal, just get a healthy diet, medium not small portions, morning biased, plenty of veggies and fiber, and a constant amount of exercise (if you moved your running to pre-breaky you'd get a fat burning bonus!)

The old adage, the faster you loose it, the faster it returns, is pretty much on the mark...

Quote:
Yea, I think the only real way to do a body fat percentage measurement is to have a water displacement test done. I'm sure only hardcore health clinic's have that kind of equipment though.
Yes, it's the best way.
What's calipers? Is this?
I use this body fat scale for myself.
     ↓
http://www.tanita.com/consumer/products/bf/personal.html

This is really nice to see my body fat changing.
Keep balance! ;\)

The fat monitors, hand or foot, are good for the average individual but are inaccurate if you are heavily muscled. Calipers, although old, are still considered, along with the full water immersion method, the most accurate way to measure bodyfat. (last I heard!)

I use hand held monitors, but as a directional aid only.