Quote:
Starship (!?)
Was visiting a friend in Taos, New Mexico about 7 years ago and passed the Holiday Inn which boasted "Jefferson Starship" was playing in their lounge the next night. Needless to say, we missed that show...

It was reminiscent of "Spinal Tap" when they play the amusement park and "Puppet Show" gets top billing. lol.gif
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My memory is not good enough to rattle them all off but all time fave would have to be Buffalo Tom who i've prob seen about half a dozen times by now. Those boys got me through Uni and still rate them as my fave to this day.

The times i've seen REM in concert they sucked. I would rate their Automatic tour in Sydney as the worst live show i've ever seen. Michael Stipe used a lectern and basically read the lyrics all night. Very lame effort.

Enderzero...what were the Screaming Trees like....they were another of my faves but never remember them coming to Oz. Gees i loved watching the big Connor boys in action!!

An Oz favourite would have to be the Crowded House farewell in front of the Opera House. Honestly thought i was going to die in a crush that night. People were panicking all round me and trying to crawl out of the crowd. A bit scary there at times! Anyone else there that night?

Most of my fave memories though are of watching emerging bands in small, intimate venues. The Clouds were a great Oz band and fantastic live, as was Died Pretty.....

I should probably stop there or i'll go on all night!

I could talk about this stuff forever. Another fave....Spiderbait closing out the first Homebake festival in Sydney. Awesome. Anyone remember their song "Sam Gribbles"....that has to be the best crowd starter around!!!

Embarassing: For me its the era w/ my big hair GF from the 80's. She got me to go to KISS, Winger, Bullet Boys, Def Leopard, Cinderella, Motley Crue, Ted Nugent.....not my genre at all!

On my own I hessitantely admit to seeing (sp?) Rico Swave (he opened for House of Pain).

kintaro,

I can't believe you just said that...

that would be a major source of pain and shame and something I would never reveal to the general public! lol.gif

danz

Like Danz said, live music rocks. I rarely listen to anything other than my live CDs/MDs of bands like Dave Matthews, Phish, Allman Bros, Panic, Flecktones. I think you can really tell how talented musicians are by listening to them live.

Gotta learn how to type better...

Antonio - I have seen the Trees on numerous occasions but the best was at a small, now defunct club called the RKCNDY which was a major hotspot during the grunge days in Seattle. Absolutely amazing show. The stage came out to a point in the middle (the room was tiny) and Lanegan just stood there inches from me belting out the whole show. I think he was having some kind of disagreement with Gary or Van though because at the end of the last song of the encore he just walked off stage while they stayed out and jammed the end of the song before throwing their gear on the ground and stomping off.

At one time (before Staley passed away obviously) there were rumors of a second Mad Season CD featuring both Stayley and Lanegan on vocals. That would have been absolutely amazing. Mad Season has moved me more than almost any other band and if I could have seen them live...well I just don't know.

You are one lucky ba$tard for living in Seattle during that period. I never completely immersed myself in grunge, however there was no denying the brilliance of the likes of Soundgarden and the Trees.... Lanegan's voice....damn, what i would do to be able to sing like that!

Do you know of buffalo tom as well? My all time fave music memory is hiring a car with my mate in the states and driving all day and all night through the "blizzards of 96" to get to a show at Amherst College in Massachussets (sp?) because the arvo before we'd checked in at an internet cafe and seen they were playing at their home college. Just wished we could have tied in Dinosaur Jr as well to round out the dream!

Somebody mentioned Husker Du earlier....they were another fave, and the follow on Sugar....more good memories.

Man, this is too much, its time to fork out to have the CD collection sent over!

Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cure, Happy Mondays, STone Roses, That Petrol EMotion, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cure, U2, House of Love, Aztec Camera, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, U2, Simple Minds, Texas, Soul II Soul, De La Soul, Oasis, James, lots of mildly popular (at the time and only in Scotland) bands like Love and Money, Hipsway, Hue and Cry (erm!)

Kintaro and Danz,

Was at Fuji Rock last year and saw Janes Addiction. I thought they were pretty good. Wouldnt say it was the best show Ive seen but it was good. Chili Peppers seem to have calmed down quite a bit from the last time I saw em but they still rocked.

Concerts Ill see this year:

Dave Matthews - September 7th row center

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - September dont know the seats yet.

Maybe Fuji Rock again. That was a good time and this years set list looks better to me than last years!!

Antonio - yeah Seattle was a great place to be at the time, but I was really too young to go to any concerts when those guys were really in their primes. I was really into it though and it was huge deal to me around 91-92 when the world really started to take notice. Everyone was talking about Seattle and I thought it was so cool that was my city.

yuki'sP

is bela coming to nippon???

when where how much???

bela is probably one of the most unique bands I have ever seen

banjo

bass

drumitar synthaxe (custom wierd electronic drum kit..craziest thing you will ever see)

sax

and crazy guests...from steel drum to throat singing...

check it out

danz

Yo who was bashing the Pet Shop Boys? I was round at a friends house last night, maxing out on the verrandah watching the sun set with some funky tunes playing and suddenly realised that it was the Pet Shop Boys and it was good! Dunno how theyd be live in concert but I burnt the CD before I went home

I will bash the Pet Shop Boys live-concert abilities. I saw them at Fuji Rock last summer and they sucked rocks. I will concede that they have many good tunes, but they didn't play any of them live and they idn't perform with any enthusiasm nor showmanship.

Perhaps your listening pleasure was somewhat enhanced by the situation you were in... ;\)

A band like the Pet shop boys is never going to be that good live because their sound is not something that can be recreated live.

Not their style...if you want that check out Erasure lol.gif

PSB are all about no smiles, no movement, understatement - so basically crap live experience!!!