what are you supposed to do after an earthquake? I was giving a lesson to a high school kid and the quake began, when things started falling over we done the under the table thing, after it stops and you pick up most of the stuff that fell over what do you do? what do you say to your student? (she didnt seem to worried)

I went with "well that was the biggest one I'v been in, you too? - where were we?" and carried on as if nothing happened. Its kinda hard to pay attention to what you are doing when there is an aftershock happening / there are sirens racing up and down the street outside and stuff blaring from loudspeakers. I felt like maby we should do something but there was no gas to turn off or anything like that so..?

(the earlier "jared" posts about being at home alone were my wife cos she didnt have time to log in as her apparantly - she has been suitably told off for using my (first) name)

any old japanese house has already survived lots of big earthquakes. Apparantly there was a bigger one up here in 78 that done some damage - maby that cleared out all the old houses that needed to fall down.

i usually read the posts. i don't really write much because for some reason, logging in to snow japan isn't that easy when jared is always on it. the computer keeps shifting back to jared's settings even after i have logged in as me. on the other hand, it could just be that i'm lazy \:D

I hear this one was small compared to what we (Tohoku) are supposed to get in the next 4 months!! eek.gif

But you all know how these rumors go..nonetheless, I think I might prepare my emergeny kit for the 1st time. confused.gif Emergency should be what exactly? Nike's and ...?

I remember reading that the big quake in Tottori a couple of years ago had nearly the same numbers on the measurement scales as the Great Hanshin Earthquake, but only half the destructive energy. If that's the case, it makes you wonder what the numbers mean in real terms.

I don't know about old houses being safe but I've been told that Japanese houses built in areas where there is heavy snowfall (Tohoku?) are constructed with thicker beams than those in other areas and generally don't use kawara roof tiles. Apart from being decorative, kawara are heavy, which means they are unlikely to blow away in a typhoon. This means that houses built in the snow country are likely to be more earthquake resistant (stronger construction, lighter roof) than those in areas where typhoons are more of a concern. Kawara roofs brought down a lot of homes in the Kobe quake.

A large fault runs right through the Hakuba Valley from Itoigawa to Shizuoka, so there is the potential for a very big one here. " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> It's fingers crossed, I tell you.

We are living in a hot spot, folks! Live here long enough and THE big one will be visiting a theater near you. That's just how it is eek.gif

Kanto..Izu area is overdue for a big one according to geologist reports I've read. I would not want to be in that metropolis when IT comes!

Growing up in Seattle I have heard all my life that we were due for a "big one." Seattle is a particularly hot spot for quakes because there are 3 tectonic plates that meet near there. There are 4 plates that meet under Japan.

So are a bunch of frequent earthquakes really a sign that a big one is coming? I was always under the impression that it was pretty much random. There could be 5 small ones in a day and the likliness of a big one wouldn't be any more or less. Maybe we are just thinking about it more. What about the idea that lots of small quakes lets off the pressure and delays the big one? I just didn't think a big earthquake had anything that led up to it the way, say, a volcano eruption does.

• 1 year later...

Not that I know of, or heard anyone talking about, Nothing out of the ordinary.

Just a massive sudden SLAM!!! just before 6pm on that Sat night. I will never ever forget that, it was (more than) terrifying.

I am just hoping that once all the aftershocks finish (soon, right?) then all the bad 'kuso-jishin' (or should I respect it?) enery has been squeezed out of the area and we'll be one of the "safest" areas in Japan! \:\) (At least for our lifetimes anyway)

There was a little 'slam' here yesterday that surprised the bejayzus out of me. It was over immediately but it kept me feeling imaginary shocks for an hour afterwards. There have been quite a few quakes since I've been here.

The weirdest thing about the Hanshin one in Osaka was hearing the damn thing storming underground towards us from the direction of Kobe. Having it just go BANG underneath you like in Niigata must be pretty ... shattering (not wishing to make a pun).

Slam, followed by a half minute of all sorts of strange noises and moving (I could not believe how much the place was moving).

Followed by another massive one 15 minutes later.

And another massive one 20 minutes later than that.

And about 200 in that first night.

eek.gif \:\(

I should really try to get it out of my mind.

With the aftershocks though I know what you mean Ocean - that rumbling sound you can almost hear them coming. and some cars sound JUST like it. and I really really really really really really really really HATE those cars.

The depth of the quake makes a big difference as well right? This Niigata one and all the aftershocks have all been close to the surface (5-10km?) and so the shaking can be felt a lot. I think.

Quote:
Slam, followed by a half minute of all sorts of strange noises and moving (I could not believe how much the place was moving).
Followed by another massive one 15 minutes later.
And another massive one 20 minutes later than that.
And about 200 in that first night.
shifty.gif eek.gif Shit a brik!