What is up with Japan having a "beach season?" or any type of season for that matter. I understand that the man-o-wars/jellyfish come out around Obon, they sting and it hurts like hell but come on! Its not like, doh, its September first, beach is closed honey. The water temperature is too cold now - eventhough we just were there yesterday. Give me a break. confused.gif

Same with air conditioners. Itll be like October something and 34 degrees outside and no air... confused.gif

This should be a song for "Nade Daro?" Wake ga wakaranke

Hozukyo kyoto is swimable from about the end of June. true reason is that the current is too strong until that time. Plenty of good places to BBQ with the family in still parts of the river though great place. Near Arashiyama.

I never new that there was a beach season here in Japan. I have never seen a closed beach either! I got to the beach all year round but if yesterday was official beach OPEN day... the waves were cranking, 4-6ft (thats up to 2m) and heavy! They should have closed the beach down to most coz half of them can't swim to save themselves!

I think slow is talking about those beach beer stand restaurant things. You know the ones that go up about now or a little later and are gone by the time the first typhoons hit. Fine if thats your thing but Id rather BYO, pay a hulluva lot less and have more beach space.

Not that I even get to the beach much in Japan \:\(

Yeah the beach Ian recommended was pretty cool. Trying to camp in that cave would have been a joke though. Ask Mr.S about that. But the weather held the entire time we were on the beach and the whole journey rocked from Danz's sandboarding attempt to stealing stank ass fish crates from behind the grocery store so we could have a camp fire. Great Time!

How was your camping trip man? Get a little wet?

We didn't get a little wet, we got ALOT wet. Good time in spite of that though. After awhile, you just can't get any more soaked.

We set up a bunch of blue tarps to protect our BBQ action though, so I felt a little like Panawave out there. Tama-chan!!!

yeah im not really grasping the concept of a beach being closed, theres lifeguards on duty at most beaches around sydney all year....

they only time they are closed is if theres jellyfish or mega rips, you can still go out at ur own risk...

i have the picture of a beach in japan with a picket fence up saying opening soon.... july 1!

wakaranai.gif

We went camping at the beach a few weekends back. Drank lots of beer and BBQ'd fresh fish from the local fish market. Had a big fire and some fireworks-summer isn't so bad I guess.