Kintaro - I enjoy your posts they often keep the forum from being 1 big agreement group. Having someone play the devils advocate can be amusing, but having a genuine satinist is much better.

Kintaro

There is a difference between holding people accountable for their actions and using common sense.

IF YOU EAT AT MACDONALDS YOU WILL GET FAT! THE END.

Don't be so defensive, I'm not gonna start slagging of Americans or accusing you of trying to take over the world. All I'm saying is that if you look to the law ALL THE TIME and stop using your common sense, what sense have you got left? None.

You'll end up senseless. Do you want America to end up a nation of senseless fools who need someone/thing to make decisions and rulings on everything that happens?

:rolleyes:

Jared,

Thanks, I aim to please. If we all agreed we couldn't possibly have fun, could we? \:\) I never agreed w/ Ocean but enjoyed his posts. Oh well.

Seriously, sometimes I agree to disagree just to have fun. So sue me!! lol.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
"Typically American...never take responsibility for your own behavior...": Mister Sparkle. You are a genius with words aren't you? Step to me, son.....you will get typically American...ah,
served. Let's try to grow a little repsonsibility for our own comments on this forum..
:rolleyes: wakaranai.gif

So what are you trying to say?

Kintaro, I find myself rather agreeing with you here...

Taking legal action is an important freedom, even if the freedom leads to frivolous suits. What were once seen as frivolous suits may also lead to important new legal and social developments.

I can't help noticing that the same old cases go round and round the internet and everybody sighs and moans about their stupidity, but the details are never given and these may prove to be significant. I don't hear anybody asking if they're even true. Of course if they are, then the problem is with the courts for not punishing frivolous actions rather than with the lawyers and plaintiffs.

Ocean what your saying is that people should be punished for filing suits that are frivilous.

But doesn't that suggest that these people are cynically filing suits that they don't believe are genuine. And if they do genuinly think they have a case for suing, why should they be 'punished' if it, for various reasons, fails?

I agree that court action is an important freedom, but isn't it the fault of society if people think these freedom is there to be used and abused on a whim? In my opinion the pressure of a quick fix/ get rich quick culture that seems predominant in the USA is the root of the problem.

Sparkle,

Nothing really. Don't loose sleep.

Ocean,

Nice to hear from you \:\)

Mathews,, (sorry, no one get's a mister until you are respected) take it easy. Ocean didn't suggest that at all. Frivolous to whom? Maybe the insurance companies or maybe by the guy that did wrong.....Your not a judge..are you confused.gif Like I said, you can sue your ass off but if it gets past the prelim hearing..the first stage of being listened to. it's probably legit..or at least worth being heard. Hell, even in a criminal case where a 'victom' claims rape. Isn't it worth being looked into? (that was not meant as a slight..there is no higher crime in my book) Why do you not agree?

"Ocean what your saying is that people should be punished for filing suits that are frivilous."

exactly!

yes, they should. even if it is only to pay the possibly considerable legal costs of the person you took action aginst.

I have no knoledge of any other court but the environment court in NZ has the ability to make lots of court and other costs your responcibility if it is proved that your action was frivilous or designed to harm the opposition without a good legal reason.

Kintaro

I respect people until they loose my respect. Your point is valid. So is mine. Suing should be a last resort, not a whim.

Jared I'm talking from the perspective of someone who belives they've got a genuine case, which implies a certain degree of honesty. And the erosion of this type of moral obligation is no more evident than in the 'quick buck' culture of America. Like it or not that is criticism.

Should someone be made to pay and take a further kick in the teeth for something the genuinely believed in....?

curious georgia...where are you? Fed up w/ what"????? I can tell ya I don't know \:\) (Beleive it or not..I'm your one voter...every one get's a 5 from KINTARO.....I don't like this voting f..thing!!!.)

Matthew...It's not that I don't exectly respect you. lol.gif I just don't respect you exactly.

May never..again...don't loose sleep.

Kintaro, may I suggest the following if you hate the voting thing:

a) turn it off in your "my profile" section;

B) you don't vote for others.

There you go, fixed!

• 3 weeks later...