When I watching American movie or drama, many time I see it about "I sue you" and some legal drama happening, even sometime small thing.

I know it is not real life maybe, but is there much of this behavious really? Did you have the experience of it?

Aki

Suing is a VERY American thing. I think it's a national past time over there!

I was reading about some guy who was 20 stone (280 KG) and tried to sue Macdonalds for making him fat, what an idiot..

lol.gif

Mr. Mathews: What do you think? "over there" we don't hold people accountable for their actions? Sorry boo...we do.. It's our national pastime. What's your problem with that.....

Go ahead and indulge me w/ your extensive legal knowledge.

Akibun-chan,

Well, we like to pursue justice and if a court of law is needed to do so..so be it. What's your problem with that??

Yes siree the "pursuit of justice" is wide and varied........just ask this fat woman .....the cemetery should sue her for desecraton..... :rolleyes:

Also......

"A California woman sued a grocery store after she dropped a six-pack of beer on her feet. The woman was not injured, but she said that it hurt. She won the lawsuit.

Chris Morris brought a suit against the state of Michigan for $1 million. Morris claims he caught a cold in the rotunda (a large, round room) of the state capitol building. He was there to observe an art exhibition.

A Canadian man is suing a New York coffee shop after suffering what he calls damage to his manhood. His penis was pinched between the toilet seat and bowl when he reached forward for toilet paper. He is asking for $1 million to compensate for his "dire and permanent" injuries. His wife is also suing for $500,000, claiming her husband cannot perform his marital duties.

A student attending a college in Idaho fell from his window while mooning a friend. The student then sued the college, claiming that it had not provided adequate information about the dangers of upper-story windows.

A West Virginia woman won more than $2 million after she hurt her back opening a pickle jar while at work.

A Texan woman was awarded $780,000 after she sued a furniture store. She sued because she tripped and fell over a child running amok in the store. Surprisingly, she won the case, even though the child was her own.

A man filed a suit against his son's baseball team when he was asked to stop smoking so close to his kid's dugout. The father claimed that this caused his child great emotional distress. The judge fined the man and his lawyer $2,250 for filing a frivolous suit.

A prisoner sued the prison system because they didn't have the kind of peanut butter he liked, they had either smooth or crunchy and he like the one they didn't have, so, he sued, and WON! Now, he's a criminal, in jail as punishment for a crime against society, but, he can sue because he doesn't like the peanut butter!

A construction worker in Tulsa intentionally cut his hand off with a circular saw. When he was taken to the emergency room, he told doctors not to reattach the hand, saying that it was possessed. The man is now suing the doctors for not reattaching his hand, claiming that the doctors should have known he was psychotic.

and probably the biggest problem with this frivolous crapp is nobody takes responsibility......propagated by lawyers.

law suits are waaaaay out of hand back home...

kamo has some nice examples of the type of bonehead lawsuits in the US...

but what worries and infuriates me more are the reactions to our sue-happy culture...

doctors are becomming more and more hesitant to perform any type of surgery due to the risk of malpractice suites...which are pricey...that really bothers me...

danz

MistaSparkle is right to an extent. I mean if you have someone who trips up over their own kid who is running around a shop - its your fault, not the stores fault where you happened to be. By sueing the store the mother isn't taking responsibilty for her fall. The fact that she can even think about sueing the store is a joke! And the fact that she won $780 000 is just a crock!

Sorry if that sounded harsh.... It just rubs me the wrong way that people sue for crap like spilling hot coffee on themselves and win millions. Lawsuits have gotten more and more absurd in the last 15 years. Like the guy suing McDonalds for making him obese. Finding someone to blame for a problem has become institutionalized as of late. A little introspection on all levels would do America alot of good.

yes yes i aggree everyone is always trying to blame somone else! always.... its not my fault..!!

anyways THis is the Funniest thing i have ever heard...

Quote:
A Canadian man is suing a New York coffee shop after suffering what he calls damage to his manhood. His penis was pinched between the toilet seat and bowl when he reached forward for toilet paper. He is asking for $1 million to compensate for his "dire and permanent" injuries. His wife is also suing for $500,000, claiming her husband cannot perform his marital duties.
kamo thats just gold! gold i tells ya! lol.gif lol.gif clap.gif

Well there is a lawsuit almost every time you have a traffic accident. I have sued and been sued. I think it is routine here in Japan as well. But the frivolous lawsuits are out of hand for sure. And traffic accidents fall within those ranks as well some times.

Sue the bastards!!

Ya know, probably greater than 9 out of 10 civil cases that make it past the preliminary hearing are legit...And it's not the lawyers at fault for bringing about a complaint. Furthermore, a "lawsuit society" is a good society. I pitty the society that doesn't have the option. The "suing society is an ugly one"....I read above...????? Who said that? I won't waste my time to look. The magna carta was the beginning of a pretty good idea. Laws work, or seem to be a good idea to me.. So when wronged..why not try to get even?? Japan really isn't a lawsuit society....as I read above. It's a "shoganai" society..Basically,,live shoganai if you want. But wrong me and I will sue!! :p

BTW, it's not blaming someone else (as mentioned), If I serve you a big rat poison sandwhich from my shop...won't your survivors sue me? McD's has got to be accountable for their actions as well. It doesn't matter how big you are. Hey...looks like Martha Stewart might be going down...

"Typically American...never take responsibility for your own behavior...": Mister Sparkle. You are a genius with words aren't you? Step to me, son.....you will get typically American...ah,

served. Let's try to grow a little repsonsibility for our own comments on this forum..

Kamoshika: explain yourself;"nobody takes responsibility...propogated by lawyers...."Responsibility for what? You've got a problem w/ the legal prorefession.. lawyers?? Why and let me ask you if you are personally intelligent enough to be one. Those that aren't lawyers love to criticize..but have nothing going on in their own lives...correct me where I',m wrong...onegaishimasu cool.gif

Ijyoo desu wave.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Matthews:
Aki

I was reading about some guy who was 20 stone (280 KG) and tried to sue Macdonalds for making him fat, what an idiot..

lol.gif
Did you know that dude recently lost the lawsuit? That serves him just right! \:D Shameless, opportunistic people and overzealous lawyers give my country a bad name! mad.gif mad.gif There oughtta be some kind of special prison just for scum bags like them!
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Kamoshika: explain yourself;"nobody takes responsibility...propogated by lawyers...."Responsibility for what? You've got a problem w/ the legal prorefession.. lawyers?? Why and let me ask you if you are personally intelligent enough to be one. Those that aren't lawyers love to criticize..but have nothing going on in their own lives...correct me where I',m wrong...onegaishimasu wave.gif
No I mostly dont have a problem with Lawyers Barristers or Solicitors. In New Zealand I have many friends and aquaintances who work in the profession, they are good people. BUT some Lawyers in the "United Beautiful States of Terrible America" (quote from a poet I cant remember who) have a lack of moral conscience, unfathomable gall and are mere vultures without honour. There is no honour is taking ridiculous and farcical cases like these. Sure if someone has been truly and unjustly 'wronged' then absolutely defend their case, do it with your head held high. Dont make a mockery of your profession and tarnish its image.
I am faced with situations in my job at my English school were I am faced with decisions of conscience. The Japanese staff live on sales and they will desparately sell a package to anyone at all, I am acutely aware of sales and fully realise my own job depends on sales. However at times there are some students who are up for resales and dont want to re-sign. They have no aptitude for English, stuggle immensely, dont enjoy themselves, annoy other students and frustrate teachers. The staff dont care, they want to get their sales quota and want to know how to convince the student to stay. The staff value my opinion and when they ask for my advice I can not conscionably recommend resale and dont. Its sick to try and squeeze more money from these people, even when ultimately your job depends on it. Its just to let them go. Money is not 'everything'