im moving to toronto in a few weeks and i want to know about peoples past experiences with taking snow gear (ski's and boards) on planes. im going to have alot of baggage. how much do you need to pay extra for a board?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Nice move!! Envious mad.gif

My recent experience with gear on plane. United.

No problems leaving Japan on UA with a 30kg bag of 2.2m in length loaded with skis, boots and clothing for week long trip.

Problem coming back from Reno. Bag was said to be too heavy. Exactly the same contents as the flight over so not sure what the sit was here. The guy at the Counter was really cool and said I can take out the clothing and stuff and the bag would be taken on as "skis" with no charges incurred. On UA as you are allowed too pieces of baggage per person I bougth a cheap ugly $20 bag and shoved the stuff in there and checked in. I was of course shocked, but happy that they offered me advice to get around the charges.

I don't know about Canadains, but the US peoples take way too much luggage into the cabin! mad.gif So much. Way too much. Anyone else noticed this? (I know the reason for this is because the US lines lose your luggae so often, but whatever happened to the cabin baggage limits!)

a cuppla years ago, when `TEAM RAPIDO` were in J-land, one of tha members had a few troubles at tha airry. he was told his baggage was over-weight, but it`d be alright if he took sum stuff out and put it in his carry-on.

so he took his meat out and put it in his carry-on and everthin was o.k. clap.gif

and the difference in weight???

10 kilos!!!

i don`t get it though, he`s still takin the same weight ONTO tha plane, it just so happens to be in a different place. what gives with that? wakaranai.gif

well moving from singapore - tokyo i was 15kg overweight (i was moving my entire room from singapore) and i was charged 200 SGD. i was not impressed. especially when there were people in the line next to me not checking anything in.

dont want to go through that again, but its quite possibly going to be worse. board, winter clothes etc.

powers the people who have to lift the crap into the plan can only lift so much.

In Canada its the same as the US. you can take 3 bags on. Board bag boot bag and regular bag. If you have to bring lots of gear try sending it by boat a week or 2 before. I always check my baggage weight before I check in.

Are you going to school in Toronto. I am from there Mississauga actually. weight your bags before you go to the airport. Not much riding around toronto besides blue ice and the park. Blue mountain is the only place worth going to. Its got at least 700 vertical feet everywhere else lies about there true vertical.

yeh im going to ryerson for radio and television.

i go to toronto every year and finally decided to go there for good. i actually stay in oakville every time i go there.

yeah the riding isnt so great around toronto, but i have good friends in both quebec and b.c.

I think i've posted this before but anyway.

We were about 10 kgs over when we came to and left Japan. We rocked up to the airport really early when we left Japan (Tokyo) and didn't pay a cent, well a yen. Between the two of us we had two board bags, a cube boot bag and a backpack. I had two boards in my bag. The check in dude was super nice and didn't bat an eyelid when he saw the total weight.

Do you have any idea how much over the limit you might be?? If its only a bit then they may let it slide.

the allowance is around 40kg (gold air canada flyer) if memory serves.

which might sound like alot, but you have no idea. im packing to move there and im not coming home for a year, so its basically bring as much as i can.

you think they make special allowances for kids moving off to school? i guess i will just have to get in touch with the airline. from what i can remember air canada are anally retentive.

Air Canada service is the pits. Oakville is only 10 minutes from my house. My parents live near winston churchill blvd between the 403 and the 401. I get to go back this summer and enjoy the pool and free tennis.

Have to put in my 2 cents...

here we are, before drew (S_F) and i left for japan i called qantas and quized them.... we were flying together, so i figured since we had 20kg each if we comined it its 40kg's together.... cause in this cause i think drew might have been a couple of kgs ova and i was a couple under so i thought we'd be able to comined (check in as a couple) and we'd be fine...

but NO! the lady chucked a narny! thats not how things work! anwayys i think that the airlines should be a little more caring i didnt think my request was too unreasonable! HUMMFF!

40 kgs certainly isn't a lot when you are moving for good. It's amazing and bloody frustrating how quickly all the little things add up. You think yeah this one shirt and this pair of socks wont add up. But it all does.

Good luck with it all!!

\:\)

So if your allowance is 40 and you were 15 over last time, does that mean you're up to 55? Also look into the possibility of sending unaccompanied baggage. Not totally cheap, but might be cheaper than paying excess.

amandanism, If you are moving usually the airlines give you an extra 10kg. I have had this happen but you need to contact the airline to let them know. Pre sending excess baggage is helpful and cheaper too.

I am always overweight. My surfboard bag with 3-6 boards and everything else in it usually weighs 30-40kg and travelling around asia/oz U only get 20kg. Usually they are cool and my leg lifting the bag also takes a few kg's off too!

If you are travelling with a few usually you can get away with more excess. Usually they don't bat an eylid @ 5kg extra per person!

Now I just keep my boards in a few countries that way i donT have to take em anywhere!

Quote:
Originally posted by mogski:

No problems leaving Japan on UA with a 30kg bag of 2.2m in length loaded with skis, boots and clothing for week long trip.

2.2 metres. Those must be some big skis. Totally oldschool or just big bag

Just a big bag. In fact the bag is the K2 Global Wheelie or something like that and those.

The skis only 185 and very new school! PR's actually. How dare you accuse me of being old school mad.gif I am hurt! " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

FOr some reason even though the bag is mega bigger than the skis the skis are still are tight fit in there. Baffling really.

Yo Mandaism. I would seriously suggest that you might wanna pare back what youre taking. Im going back to NZ in about a month after 3 years here and started packing and much to my surprise dont have that much stuff. Ok I am the ultra light packer and ruthless throw out stuff but you really dont need as much as you might think and youre going to buy lots of stuff anyway. Ive got a 20kg weight limit and Im not too worried.

Having said this you are the international move master so Im sure you dont need much help! From experiences of other people leaving Japan with lots of baggage can be tough and they just might sting you. Seriously though if youve got 40kg or whatever and put your books etc in your carry on then you should be ok. Also ladies are allowed a handbag as well as a carry on bag so get the biggest f-off handbag you can find and carry your heavy woollen coat.

Back to NZ yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
Also ladies are allowed a handbag as well as a carry on bag so get the biggest f-off handbag you can find and carry your heavy woollen coat.

haha i like the way you think. im so going to do this.

ive started to pre pack, my room is covered with piles of clothes, alot of which im bringing myself to leave behind. the thing thats going to sting me most is i have alot of sporting stuff that i need to take, soccer boots etc.

im starting to cut down on alot of stuff. and i dont have school books to take this time. the main problem i think is going to be the snowboard.