Hey all...

What car do you have? or do you not?

I have a Daihatsu Charade, cute little car...

but on the snow side of things.....

Im looking at getting a Daihatsu Terios, so i dont have to mess around with snow chains...

And roof racks, do you travel with you boards and skis on the roof or in the car....

my cars little so its cramped with the boards inside but i cant have removable roofies...

mmm...?! \:\)

suzuki escudo 4WD with thule roof rack, roof box and ski attachments. skis are too long to fit anywhere in the car, and the seth pistols don't even fit in the roof box. having 4WD is handy, especially in iwate where they don't really tend to clear the roads of snow.

Suzuki jimmy 4wd with roof rack. The little car handles the snow well. high clearance and 4wd low help on bad days. Its a small car so the money you save on highway tolls is negated by the gas consumption. Im a ketchi bastard so I dont want to buy a new one. I also have the use of the father inlaws toyota wagon. no ski rack but we use it for the long haul trips.

I used to drive an Excel. Good little car indeed.

I've gone even smaller for some odd reason. I'm driving a bomb of car. A small red Mazda 121 Funtop! But the less i spend on cars is more money spent on boarding! \:D

It's having its first trip to the snow this year, that should be....er.......interesting!

Caaaaaaaaaldina ! !

That`s a Toyota Caldina - 120K, 1.5 Years Shaken, excellent condition, all for the low low price of 120,000 Yen, yahoo.

Back in the States I have a Electric Blue Civic SI - love it, so I didn`t sell it.

I love cars.

Snow/surf mobile is a toyota Hiace super GL ( long wheel base) 4WD. Has a deck in da back, boards and shit goes underneath and have a kick ass mattress on top thats more comfy than my bed. Makes do until I get my coaster ( mini bus)

plus other fast cars!

I've got a tricked out Mazda RX-7(used to do quite a bit of racing back in da days)that's been sitting in the garage for the last few years, waiting to be revived. \:\( These days I drive around town in a beat up Nissan Maxima that's got over 180,000 miles. This vehicle's falling apart little by little...even the stereo no longer works! But it's gonna have to do for now(you DO NOT want to be without a set of wheels in LA). :p

ocean, u happy with the Impreza? i`m lookin at buyin a new (read: used) car when i get back from summa hols. i agree with tha `shika`, ya cant beat wagons, and while i`d dearly love a Legacy, tha price puts me out of it a bit. tha next best thing? an Impreza!

at tha mome, i`ve got a dihatsu mira. i didn`t think they made cars that small. can`t complain though, gets me to tha beach and back.

powwwers, that's a yes and no.

It handles quite nicely and goes like shit off a stick. It's comfortable enough for me in the front, but cramped for folks in the back. The boot space is good and you can shove lots in there. It's also a very handsome v-hickle I find. It has reasonable fuel economy and Subarus are said to last many years (although most Japanese cars do anyway).

Downsides are that it's very hard to judge where the front and back are when you're in it. I actually found driving my mate's Toyota Lite Ace van easier from that point of view. My number plates are bent in from driving into snow banks when parking. Also, because Subaru don't use window posts at the edges of the door, the sealing isn't very good and it can be noisy at speed (which is something I deal with a lot). While it looks cool when you open the door with the window down, the window rattles like hell when you slam the door which isn't cool.

On ice, in spite of the 4-wheel drive, it does slide readily, more so than my old 2-wheel drive Gemini. But with the extra drive wheels, you get more traction from stationary on ice so you get stuck less.

Overall though, I'm pleased with it, and I expect to have it for a good many years.

With Oceans advice there, i'm gonna give a plug for the space gear. Loads of room (obviously), full range 4WD gear box and suspension/chassis (the only 'one box' on the market with that (save the delica star wagon)), set back driving position gives it a car like drive, the reason I bought one over something like a hiace (space for handling compromise).Fast, smooth and not one mech problem in over 5 years/75K kms.

Downsides, hard to get one cheap, as they hold their value well. Fuel cons. only slightly better than yer average 4WD.

i got a nice, crappy, old, dented nissan pulsar. but it's going to be scrapped in a couple of weeks. i just successfully changed the name on the shakken for my new car- a not so old ford festiva \:\)

Speaking of which is anyone In or around Sydney looking or know someone whos looking for a car??

a Daihatsu Charade Toscana 1995 white manual only 54000km!!

Give me a hoy - i an always keep my fingers crossed?!?!

Toyota Corolla

White

don't like it much, but its free! \:D corporate benefits...

so I can't really complain...of course I will be carless once I change jobs... \:\( \:\(

who wants to be my driver to the mtns. next year??

danz