We're moving to Matsuyama in Shikoku in August. Quite looking forward to it actually.

Does anybody else here live in that area? Has anybody been to the 4 resorts in Ehime, or to the indoor place near Matsuyama? I'm also interested in finding places to mountainboard, if anyone has any pointers...

Wow, I had no idea it snowed down there. I was told that it was warmer than Tokyo. Guess that wasn't the mountains.....

Ocean, Shikoku's beautiful. As you can see I don't know anythiing about the snow season, as I've only ever been there in warmer weather, but I'm sure you'll love it. Just watch out for the typhoons that pass thru.....

My house-hunting trip was rather marred by a typhoon in fact. Although it didn't stop me getting shitfaced with a couple of uncles-in-law. \:o Bad hangover. Very bad....

I've always liked Shikoku, and it actually gets quite a bit of snow every year just inland from Uwajima. Even if the resorts aren't that good, I hope to go BC next season.

ermm, I think you'll be heading to Hiroshima or Shimane every weekend. My husband's cousin and her husband live in Imabari and they sometimes go to Kuma but more often than not they drive to Hiroshima, stay with us and we go to Mizuho, Geihoku etc (and Asahi Tenguston when we just want to practise quietly).

The previous threads on Hiroshima slagged it off quite a bit, but I hadn't been till this season - Mizuho can rival a lot of places (but I haven't been to Nagano - only Hokkaido and Tohoku).

From Matsuyama, you can drive on the ferry to Takahara or Hiroshima and then get on the motorway for less than an hour straight to mizuho gondola. Only drwaback for mizuho is the crowds, but you just have to time it right - only the first gondola has a long queue - over an hour at times, otherwise the rest of the lifts are fine.

Thanks Sharon. There's also a bridge that goes across from Matsuyama isn't there? I wonder which is cheaper/faster, bridge or ferry... I've heard positive things about Hiroshima and Shimane too. Actually, I'm not that fussy about local places anyway - as long as you can ride fast and practise jumps I don't mind. I expect to be flying to Hokkers for some powder too.

Thanks for the encouragement scouser. I expect moving will be a proper pain...

O11,

I love Shikoku - what a beautiful island!! Youll have a good chance to get into some surfing down there around Kochi as its one of the better places in Japan. Let me know when you plan on tubing the Shimantogawa!! Ill drive over and meet you!! \:D

I got a few mates who live there too and theyve gone to the resorts there and have said its similar to Geihoku in Hiroshima like Sharon said. The resorts here are decent when theres real snow. Hit a storm and theyre good. But, the boarders here in Hiroshima (about 90% boarders in this region) are punters. You cant ski/board because theyre all sitting down on the gerrand smoking and talking on their keitais. mad.gif

Muvva in law is in Uwajima, so we wanted to be nearer her for all the pious confucian reasons (and child-minding), but not too close. Also we wanted to be near a decent sized city for business and culture. So the burbs of Matsuyama seemed like the best choice. The proximity to an active airport is also a big draw.

YP, I'll be looking for some company for tomfoolery on the Shimatogawa for sure...

0-11 Good Luck with the move. From a fellow Shikoku-ite - you should enjoy the offerings of the isle. And what's been stated is pretty true. I think if you have the time(& money) you'll probably end up heading to Shimane/Hiroshima for a decent plunge when you can. It's not so far. In Mizuho village there's a nifty trailer park (1km to the resort) that's cheap and fun in a kind of er...fun ...way. Haven't been to Mikawa, but heard it needs a real good dump to open fully. Kuma is like a place to go when you're bored on a Wednesday - ladies day - and 3 600m runs. Ishizuchi(1950m I think) usually has good snow, but it's so underdeveloped - 3 runs! Ikawa in Tokushima is good for drinking beer and playing & sliding - weekdays only - 3 runs. Unbelievable at times goat track to the site, which adds to the feeling of - man this is way away. Also they have the best log cabins on slope with the lot, for cheap. Stay a couple of days. And the beaches down south and the river and plenty of out of the way places could keep a leisure seeking person busy for a long time.

Post your movements. (family, not bodily) \:D

Thanks for the overview snobee! Ishizuchi looks like it might be the best local bet then (cor blimey Y5,000 mo suru no??)... I look forward to seeing some of these places, even if they are only good for taking the boy out for a few tries.

I'll be fairly close to the cable car that goes up from Okudogo Onsen, whatever's up there.

That would be 'out of the question'. You might not want to add that one to your quiver. ;\)

Shikoku's cities have all of the culture and amenities of 'mainland' Japanese cities, but the rest of Shikoku is very undeveloped with a lot of old buildings and roads still left. The last 5 years or so has seen a lot more development though, with a motorway and other basic infrastructure.

I was quite struck by how many bijin there are getting about in Matsuyama. Makes a nice change ... there's only 3 of 'em in Suwa.

It looks like we might be taking the night ferry from Osaka when we move. Floating into our new home will definitely reinforce the 'island dweller' aspect of things.

• 1 month later...

Right, well I'm unplugging my 'puter tomorrow and I'm signing off from Suwa. When I next pop up to have my say, it will be from Matsuyama. Never thought I'd see the day when I upped stumps and set 'em up in Shikoku, but here it is.

Tara.