What would you miss most about Japan?

I voted for culture because (in general) my wife feels very safe and unthreatened here. She feels safer here walking around alone at night than she does anywhere else. She is a confident streetwise woman whatever country she's in, but this is the one she feels most comfortable in. For me that is very important.

Yeah I like the saftey aspect. I mean there are nutters anywhere but I do feel pretty safe walking around at night by myself and it is going to be hard to not be able to do that back home. Having said that there are cabs that dont cost too much back home so its not so bad really.

I have actually lived this thread! After 8 years in Japan, I returned to the US last October. Here's what I miss the most:

--Mogski, the greatest ambassador and International Rep for NZ that ever lived

--my J surfing pals, the sweetest bunch of alcoholic, happy-go-lucky surfing lifestylers you ever did meet...thank god I met them before believing my J company acquaintances were the only kind of people in Japan

--real Japanese food

--eating great food and drinking heavily, then taking a train, taxi or even bicycle back home...no worries about a-hole cops and drunk driving

--Female watching (average weight of Michigan women is around 140kg...no kidding...think about it guys)

--the food at konbinis...I'd kill for that 24-hour selection of onigiri, o-den, seaweed salads and cheaply delicious bentos...even if they do actually contain hormone disruptors

--the polite service at restaurants and shops (here, every clerk and waiter has a giant ugly puerile attitude that you must practically fellate before getting any service...no thanks, foist your issues about work, authority and service on your family, loved ones and therapist, but please don't ask me to pay for the painful experience, you minimum-wage insecure juvenile rude prat...I never behaved that way when I was a minimum-wage clerk or bartender)

--being mistaken for a person who is moderately good-looking and being surprised to find out that incredibly beautiful, sexy women had a crush on me from way back (!)...whereas here I am basically reviled, or merely ignored and totally irrelevant at best

--being considered an unusually gifted genius for making simple typographical and grammatical corrections to standard, boilerplate contracts and business letters

I'll go back one day. I got the most amazing wife from Japan, and thank god she and her family want to see us back there.

\:D

I am living this thread right now. Been back 10 days...it's rough.

badmigraine hit a lot of them right on the head. Especially:

-Friends!

-"sights"

-drinkin and not worrying about stupid stuff like driving. For months my biggest worry was "can I stay occupied until first train or will I have to go sleep at a manga kissa."

And may I add:

-Trains, like db said - just to never fool around with driving or parking or crap like that.

-Being surrounded by the language. I feel it slipping...away...need to...make...japanese friends.

-The glory that is Tokyo and just exploring and discovering cool stuff.

Everytime I think of this stuff I just remind myself about the weather there right now compared to my nice 70-85 degree (22-30 C) sunny days here with zero humidity. :p

I must say that the best negi miso ramen I have has so far is still at a Japanese run place in Sydney. I am sure that are far better in Tokyo, I am just yet to find them.

Which raamen place in sydney, db? I kinda rate the ichibanboshi place in the strand arcade. Other than that though there is alot of pretty ordinary raamen being dished up in sydney. I had the best raamen ever near where i lived in kasai, a placed called "shina soba". Queues out the door 7 nights a week and just the tastiest noodles, soup, pork, egg ... the lot. You would get to the soup at the bottom and just want to drink the lot because it tasted so bloody good. Ohhh... right now I would run over hot coals just to get a bowl of the chashu-men there. Oh yeahhh!