Everywhere in Tokyo, we turn off the lighting tonight from 8pm to 10 pm. The Tokyo tower, too.

Are you going to join this event, too?

We are having candle party tonight and we'll see what's going on from the roof!

eek.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be better if Japanese people learnt to turn the damn lights off when it's not dark. I always made an impression as an English teacher by walking into the classroom, turning the lights off, holding up my hand in front of my face and checking that I could see it. It really freaked some of my students out that they could be in a room without a light on, however bright the day.

Oh sorry, it was dark during the war when they were all born, so they have to have it bright for their psychological deprivation...

Yeah, you'll see this on TV tonight.

Some helicopters were on the sky.

No Tokyo Tower, Rainbor Bridge, Roppongi Hills now.

My friend said If we have summer time here in Japan, we can economize electricity??

I couldn't turn off my computer... ;\)

We switched to candle power last night, but were disappointed that so many buildings still had lights running (yesterday was chosen for this feeble campaign since it's the longest day of the year). Seems that switching to daylight savings would certainly make sense for Japan?

I know many buildings were still on but that campaign is dificult for the hotels or hospitals.

Only symbolic buildings joined that for motivation.

I am not an expert, but a friend of mine is (he is an electricity trader. I might ask him what the story is). Anyhow, I do not think that reduced consumption today will help at all in managing anticipated future consumption that is greater than future demand. As commodities go, electricity is not like any other. If we use less crude oil today, we have more for periods in the future when there would otherwise have been a shortage.

In terms of electricity, using less today will not help when usage peaks later in summer. It isn't like the electricity that was saved last night can be put in a battery for later use.

The onbly viable logic that this non-expert can come up with is that water not used last night to produce hydro generated power is still in the dams and can be used later when power usage peaks at a level above supply capacity... had that water not been reserved through last nights brownout.

What gets me is that we have brownout to avopid a shortage of power... when the fact is, a brownout IS a shortage of power.

Starve today rather than starve tomorrow... either way, you are going to starve for a day.

When I build my house down under, I plan to be fully self-contained, using solar, hydro and wind power. This puppy is withdrawing from the power drain, and once alternative sources of enegry, coupled with efficiency gains are given the investment/backing they deserve, the supply will most certainly outstrip demand. How long powerful energy lobby groups will be able to keep logical gvt support for these projects at bay, however, remains to be seen...

As an aside, I always thought that oil companies were the bane of the environment... recent adverts on TV have shown me, however, that they are the heroes of the environment, protecting it for the generations to come... clap.gif

Well theoretically power surplus from an event like this one can be sold to pay for power that must be purchased at a later time. Though the power purchased when it is really needed would be considerably more expensive.

This is how electricity is brokered between state and private utility companies in the US. The deregulation of the power utilities on the West Coast two years ago led to huge issues regarding these practices. But I am unaware if the process is the same for Japan, being that it is an island and all.

I thought it was more a symbolic thing than a practical step. A warning or foretaste of things to come...

And like all these one-day campaign things, it won't have the slightest long-term effect.

Yeah, my understanding was that it was more symbolic and was not intended to have any real economic effect.

It seems that another focus was that people might actually see some stars at night instead of the flash from the local pachinko parlor.

going along with Miteyak and the good thoughts about alternative power sources, has anyone else heard about this phenonmenal idea from Australia.

The Solar tower a 1km high tower with a massive glasshouse apron, creating massive convection currents driving turbines in the tower. Superb idea, I really hope it eventuates

It always gets me too. When we go round to our Japanese friends house, it seems they just automatically put on all the lights for some reason - and keep them on all night, even in the toilet and other rooms we don't go in.

WHY?!!?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Good, Good,

This event getting bigger every year! This summer 33,897 places will join so far, Rainbow bridge, Tokyo Tower, convenience stores... And you'll find it in your town, too!

18th, 19th, from 8pm to 10pm. Let's lights out!!