Back home, I would never consider going out of the house withoutocking the doors and windows. Even if its a short trip down the road. It is just unthinkable.

But this last weekend I just realised that I went out on a Saturday night with most of the upstairs windows of my house open - and I often go out down the road without really bothering locking the door. And it seems lots of Japanese people leave their house empty for long times without locking up.

What about you and your Japanese friends? Lock up or not?

Locked and double locked... not that it stopped our aparto getting burgled. To be honest though, I dont think there's too many oportunistic burglaries here, they mostly seem to be carried out by pro's. Our guy just smashed the patio door lock and walked out tyhe front door...

I know i should lock my door, and i do sometimes (very seldom, don't even carry my key half the time), so basically it's always open. does it count if i live amongst rice paddies??? i mean, the people who walk past my place are little old ladies with their wheelbarrows and little kids to and from school. and everyone knows where we live cos its teachers housing. maybe i should be more careful since i've got computers, stereos and a ton of ski gear just sitting around...

Same thing happened to me Miteyak-a downside of living in central Osaka I guess, and there's not much you can do about it. Nowdays gangs of pros are going around checking the types of locks people have and marking potential hits with tiny colored stickers on letter boxes or around door frames. My friend has just been warned that such stickers have appeared in his building.

I'm intensely paranoid about my front door and windows. Even if I KNOW I've locked it I'll walk back to check it maybe 2 or 3 times.

Irrational behaviour I know, but it's the same with 'leaving the hob on' or 'leaving the cooker on'. I just can't help myself... \:\(

I'm all for habitual locking as well.

I find it crazy that people leave their houses empty and unlocked for whole afternoons (like some of the people in my neighbourhood do). It's crackers.

the other day my whole family went out and everyone expected that each other had locked the back door, i got home and it was wide open..... i mean wide open.... the dumb dog hadnt even gone inside...!!!

we leave our windows open but lock the doors...!!?!?!

mmm?!??!

use to leave unlocked while we were home, but a few too many times has the next doors baba chan walked in our place thinking that it was hers!

now my wife is a compulsive locker!

If Im out I dont lock the doors windows usually but I lock it when I get home because I dont want some weirdo coming into my house when Im there. The phone calls are bad enough...

If I know Im going to come home late when its dark then I usually make the effort. If Im out for the weekend I leave one of the windows open because often someone wants to borrow something.

I dont usually lock my car unless there is something in it I dont want stolen. But if there isnt and Im at my mates house I often leave the keys in the ignition so I know where they are. That sounds bizare but I dont think anyone wants to go joy riding in my old dunger let alone steal it!

In NZ I always lock the door always.

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
If Im out I dont lock the doors windows usually but I lock it when I get home because I dont want some weirdo coming into my house when Im there. The phone calls are bad enough...

What about the weirdo who came in whilst you were out... and is hiding in yer closet...

no closets in my house and the only closet is full to the brim with futons. Yeah that is a point but something about being daytime makes me feel a bit more secure. Not the case I know but ah well. Ignorance is bliss ;\)