Yeah, north Nagano has a lot more to offer: Shiga Kogen, the "White Horse" (Hakuba) series with Happo One, 47, Cortina etc. It's probably worth the extra travelling.

I assume you have a good reason for asking about resorts in Southern Nagano as opposed to the North. My Feature 'Along the Venus Line' is basically a review of some of the resorts just south of Matsumoto. Check it out in 'Features'

If you go on a weekday, especially when it's been snowing, you can have a pretty good time. But for the mega days, you have to go at least as far north as Hakkers.

Yes I do have good reason to ask - because they are easy access for me and the ones I will be able to go to most. I know already about the bigger northern places - I know much less about what is nearer me.

That feature is a great help - thank you, Ocean11.

\:D

You're welcome!

I forgot to give any due to Echo Valley in my articule. If I were still living in Suwa, I'd think about getting a season pass.

Where are you living? There's quite a few foreign skiers and snowboarders in Suwa and Okaya - I'll put you in touch if you're interested.

Now we are getting some where by the sounds of it before I thought you were just south of matsumoto. Ok what do you want? ie services, terrain, snow, onsens, day trips?

Norikura is still pretty big good hiking too at any time of the year almost for skiing or other things.

Yes, I thought you were a bit nearer Suwa than that.

For easy access, you might want to look at Fujimi Panorama. It's nearest the Chuo Honsen railway line. I've heard it can get pretty icy, so if you're at all fussy about snow quality, you'd want to go after some good snowfall.

There are a few resorts in Yamanashi too if you want something nearer.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Shinshu Nomugi Toge. It's by no means huge but big enough to keep you busy for a day (no park though). Of course, Norikura Kogen Onsen is not bad, either. I'd put these 2 resorts up against any "lower Hakuba" resorts. The best part about these 2 places is virtually no crowd, even on weekends. If you're not willing to drive all the way up try Kamui Misaka by Kawaguchi Lake. It's got both an indoor area and an outdoor slope. They've got jumps and rails too but I wouldn't recommend going there on a weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the confusion and thanks.

I have been reading some of your comments about the Wada Toge place, Ocean11. That place sounds tops. I hope it opens this coming season. \:D

pon farr

there is also Ontake...

Super easy acces from Shizuoka, high altitude (low temp)

not too steep though, but i have been enjoying myself there most of this past season.

I can drive there in little over 5 hrs. from Hamamatsu area, not using highway. 4 hrs. on tomei/chuo.

ATB

Thunderpants

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...