If you can you must go to this place-it's great. I'll have to borrow my bother in laws car to go out there and stock up on things. I felt like I was in America as I strolled past 1.8 litre tubs of guacamole and 1 litre bottle of blue cheese dressing. There was even a huge American guy standing next to me at the counter-looked like he could put away one of those guacamole tubs in one sitting.

The staff all seem to be able to speak at least some English as well. Just like a holiday away from the country and well worth the 4000 yen signup if you ask me.

Three visits and 170,000 yen later...

Quality of life ... up

Cost of living ... down clap.gif

Bought a chest freezer (215l), stocked w/ shoulders of lamb (for the price of a steak at the local super!), whole chickens (1000 yen), bagels... and a whole lot more.

Oh, and a region free DVD player 9800 yen...

I may finally have found a way to justify the cost of parking the motor in the middle of Osaka!

Is becoming a member and then driving 1.5 hours one way to get to the place worht it? Really? (This is a question and not a stab at anyone)

There's one store in Makuhari just past the station. I went there yesterday on the way back from Narita, but didn't sign up as I thought I'd find out what the score is first. I went to Costco in Aberdeen, Scotland last week, and found many manufactured items that were cheaper in Cainz Home, Japan. The food was very cheap though.

In the Makuhari store, there was very little indication of what you can get by signing up. A little catalogue or something would work wonders for skeptics like myself. However, by surfing around today, I found this page which is some dudes basically offering a home delivery service in Japan. Knock off their margin and you get Costco prices, I suppose

http://www.theflyingpig.com

If you want to join Costco, it said something about needing a business card. Dunno if that means anything in practice. Note that you're not allowed in the store if you're not a member.

The reason we went to Makuhari was to check out Carrefour. You get some good stuff in there too. Several different cuts of lamb, though no big roasts. The shop's being refitted now, so it's a bit cramped in there for those big trolleys.

In case somebody doesn't know, there are several private carparks near Narita where you can leave your car for two weeks for 3500 yen. It makes travelling from the boonies a lot easier.

NoFakie you only need the business card if you want to become a business member. A friend told me if you sign up and are disatisfied after perusing the store you can get a refund. The lamb thing is great-I'm doing a bbq event next weekend and the lamb is going to be centre stage.

Ok where is this cosco in osaka details please.

To be honest I found a cheap store called sunday. It sells ground meat at 200 yen per pack 5 pork chops for 360 3 steaks a little thin for less than 1000 sometimes half price. PS people monday and tuesday is mark-down day at the supers go then and find meat half price come on you didnt know that.

PS IM canadain I know jack shiiittt about how tocook lamb but I do have enough smarts to have built an 80cm bbQ in the backyard. plus My buddy OU gavemy a huge bbq for my wedding present.

That one in Tokyo(or should I say Chiba)is pretty much useless as it's located so far away from the city center. Even if you have a car you'd still have to take your time to go out there, pay ridiculous amount of money for toll and possibly get stuck in traffic(more often than not). Plus once you come home with the loot where are ya gonna stash them? For most ex-pats I think the best bet would be to go visit your neighborhood discount-ya. They've got all kinds of stuff(some of them aren't even available in supa)if you know where to look. Now if you'll excuse me I think I'm going to make a Costco run...only 10 min away! \:D