Motorola Talk About two way radios

Anyone had experience on those? They were sold in US about $35 ea. (after a rebate) and has 1W output power to carry for 5 miles (9km). Look kinda toyish, and I believe those are illegal in Japan(freq. it uses). But hey, you will not hear the stupid trucker conversations. They seem to be very popular in North America.

I'm very tempted to get them, even though Motorola's website says they are illegal in Japan. Hey, if you have an accident on the mountain, you can talk directly to the emergency services on the same frequency... Chobenri.

I think a certain skier from Kyoto might be familiar with them...

yeah they are great, makes seperating with yer lagger friends guilt free - "breaker breaker, where you at, ---- okay, we`re going to hit this kicker a few more times until you get done at the restaurant, over"

I sent them to myself here in Japan in a box, which like every other box I have sent to myself, was opened by the Feds. they got through.

i used a pair of radios that caught the patrol radios at happo last year. I also got some american couple shouting each others names over the damm things killing my batts. The main prob is the freq is different here. You can by good ones for about 10000man with gps my friend just bought some.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
You can by good ones for about 10000man with gps my friend just bought some.
10000man?? fwooar thats exy! I hope you were meaning 1man! wink wink

anyway I have used 2 types, the motorola and kenwood. A friend lent them to me from his government run company here in japan, so it comes as some suprise to me that the Motorolas are banned
The kenwoods worked perfectly at niseko. We did occasionally pick up patrol on our frequency, but nothing as interesting as the truckies. The do rock and are so much more reliable than mobile phones.

I have used them a fair amount in the states. Sometimes they suck if you can't hear them in your pocket as you whizz down the slope, but it's a minor problem. Cell phones all work so well at most Japanese resorts though, so I tended to just rely on those in case of buddy split-up. Unless of course you're riding with db \:D