Long haul flights - what do you do?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mogski, I have thought the same about the decline in good recent movie choices too. They've been really crap the last couple of long flights I've had.

Kinda off topic, but I'm curious what airlines people are using to fly home...

I've flown United every time, and they have personal video screens with decent movies, but the food is barely edible, the seats are cramped as hell, and the flight attendants are blatantly contemptuous of the passengers.

I'm flying continental this time... anyone have any experiences with them? I got a good deal, but their prices seem like they're normally higher... expensive = better service??

British Airways - simply because they are the most convenient for me (Tokyo<>Heathrow<>Manchester) and no more expensive than anyone else.

They have the personal screens too, I'd hate to fly without one of them now.

Once I went back via Malaysia just to save some money, but it was a BIIIIIIG mistake - it took forever and it was awful....never again.

Quote:
Originally posted by cheeseman:
I take some delicious and nutritious cheese snacks with me. Enough to share too so we can all be friends on the plane. \:D
I pity the poor people in the vicinity of cheeseman. The smell of some cheese upon opening are bad enough, but following digestion on that cramped plane...I bear to think!

On that topic, anyone else notice flatulance to be rampant on planes?

I dont really mind flying. Im usually so excited about going somewhere that I dont really get bored. I just try not to worry about not sleeping because if I cant sleep then it aint going to happen. I guess the fact that I am relatively easily entertained is a bonus. A movie has to be pretty horendous for me not to watch it and last time I came back I bought the 4th Harry Potter at the airport in NZ and it was done by the time I got back to Nagano a day later. I am also pretty good at thinking about nothing and just passing time. I shoulda been a zen Monk(ess?)

However I am sick to death of flying alone. If you have a buddy to pass the time with the trip goes much faster.

Trips to the toilet, washing my face, walking up and down the aisle sussing out the hotties and "accidently" knocking their foot, doing the exercises in the inflight magazine, getting lots of drinks off the steward/ess and next thing ya know youre starting to decend.

Also I got completly wasted on a flight once. I was sitting between 2 alcoholic mates who had the stewardesses on each aisle supplying our booze and when i landed it really hit me how trashed I was. Not good trying to keep a straight face going through customs "nothing to declare, honest ocifer"..

However for my next trip I am flying Pakistan airlines then Mongolian airlines so my opinions may change.

About the movies - like someone else said, I think they're seriously cutting costs on that side of things too showing lots more crappy movies and virtually no new blockbusters.

I want Matrix 2 and T3 on my return flight in August! \:D

I usually get through a book on a plane. A lot of preparation goes into deciding on what book that will be The Chosen One.

A wrong choice, a book that turns out to not be the real The Chosen One, and the 10 hour flight becomes hell.

If The Chosen One has been chosen well, then the flight goes by quite nicely, thank you.

dont sleep the night before, and drink lots of water and juice on the plane. maybe just one glass of wine for the extra boost for sleep. i once flew hawaii-tokyo, then the next day tokyo-bangkok. on the second flight i had a couple of glasses of wine (not much for me) bc i wanted to sleep, but it really hit me with all the travelling. i got up to go to the bathroom and i passed out- knocked my head on the door and scrapped my knee on the floor. not only embarassing, but kinda scary bc i was alone so had no one to look after me \:\(