Long haul flights - what do you do?

I can never sleep on airplane, even I try so hard. So I usually read or watch the movie or something.

What do you do?

If you can sleep on the plane - please tell me how!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to get plenty frustrated, bored, annoyed, tired, headache and watch a crap movie or two and feel goddamned relieved when it is all over.

However much I try to "enjoy" it, it always seems to end with me being in a bad mood.

Get an inflatable neck pillow, inflatable back rest, down 3 melatonin, wear eye shades and don't watch any movies. This has enabled me to actually get around 4 hours sleep on planes, a feat I've never been able to do before.

Try not sleeping the night before, using ear plugs and flying business class.

Works marvels for me.

10 hours+ sleep easily had on a plane.

Buy some valium - you can buy it without a prescription in some countries (such as poorer countries like Indonesia, India, Egypt etc).

If you get 10 pills that will last you for your next 5 long haul flights.

yep, business class with BA have seats that flatten out to become beds and nice screens that you can put up between yourself and the person next to you whom you never wanted to spend so much time sleeping next to in the first place.

My answer is: never fly long haul unless the company is paying

Oh yeh, I forgot to add that one, Mogs - not sleeping the nite before is very helpful...... Instead of earplugs I have noise cancelling headphones. They're great - you can also plug them into the plane's audio and actually hear the movie properly (well, the movie you decide to watch AFTER you've slept of course....)

Call me weird, but I love long flights. Even tho it can be uncomfortable at times, and exhausting, I still enjoy that in between lag time where you have nothing else to do other than watch a movie, read, or sleep. My flights to and from home are 12 hours each way that I get press pause on life and just zone out... \:\)

Hey greasy nose, I like to gawk out the fish-eye window as well. I remeber Ocean mentioned marvelling at the amount of snow in Siberia. I too couldn't take my eyes off it. A great sight.

When I am over the ocean I look for tidal waves and whales. Trying to find the SOS fire on small islands is also fun. Not enough people get stranded on islands these days.

At night time over SE Asia it is great to look for electrical storms flashing in the clouds below. It is amazing how many you can see from that height.

I also watch mounds of movies. If I didn't see in flight movies I doubt I would have seen any movies at all over the years. This is when I do my movie going and TV watching.

I once flew from Seattle to London, then London to Hamburg (Germany). I don't know how long the flight was, but I slept for 17 hours straight once I got to my friend's house in Hamburg. On the flight back home, I had a few glasses of wine, then used the eyeshades and listened to music. I passed out for several hours. I recommend classic music, maybe some light Mozart or Bach. And lots of wine - not beer, because you'll have to pee soon after.

i tend to sleep pretty well if i just pull an all nighter the night before.

thats whats going to be done tonight for my 24 eek.gif hour flight to halifax, canada tomorrow.

air canada is the pits aswell.

singapore airlines was sweet, but wont be flying that anymore.

I too have spent many a time looking for electrical storms in the clouds. Those pilots really get it lucky wiht being able to experience that stuff.

I have a reccomendation for airlines. As most of the long hual flights these days are night flights remove the seats, make bunk type beds three four high with about 5-6 rows down the plane and let us all sleep in comfort. Charge the same price cause your costs on such flights are going to be cut hugely as nearly everybody will sleep peacefully requiring very little attentnion by inflight crew.

I know it is a bit of an outrageous idea, but I am sure the same was said of the Wright bros. back in the time.

I try to get on the plane as fresh as I can, which means sleeping plenty before. On the plane I read, stare out of the window for hours, and occasionally watch films.

The keys to comfort are;

1. Not drinking coffee and only consuming a tiny amount of booze. Drinking water and orange juice whenever they bring it around.

2. Dozing whenever you feel drowsy, without worrying about being asleep or not.

3. Going to the bog, washing your face and brushing your teeth every few hours, and walking about the cabin.

I've never had jetlag so I must be doing something right...

I've never seen a whale from a plane before, although I've heard about that. Watching other planes whizzing up from airports is fun.

I`m totally the opposite - don`t sleep, get loaded, and keep drinking on the plane.

but that never works, as I always feel like crap by the time I have reached my destination, maybe I am doing something wrong. wakaranai.gif

Not sitting in my seat the whole time, refreshing myself... my of what O11 said.

These days I try not to come straight from the club/pub/bar and onto my flight! makes a hell of a difference and not so damn stuffed when you reach ya destination

Night flights pop some valium too.

O11, tried all of that myself and don't work for me. Glad it does for you though. It's not jetlag the problem, its just boredom, being uncomfortable etc..

If you're going to London Cal, go on Virgin. Their entertainment on demand setup is really sweet. Both my wife and I noticed that a lot of people on the plane were watching it and not struggling to get some sleep.

In economy, there is something like 50 films, some good telly, and selections of tunes by Patrick Forge, Andy Kershaw, and Norman Jay. They've even got two episodes of "The Office". It's the funniest comedy I've seen in years, probably since the first lot of Ali G interviews. Does anyone know if you can get it on BBC World?

On the subject of movies on planes has anyone noticed a drastic decrease in the amount of "permiers" on the planes? It used to be that the planes often had the latest relaeses on show prior to them coming out in most theatres. Now I am finding this not to be the case.

They are even showing classic films of 50 years or more old!

Where are all my dollars going?

I get fed up too - who doesn't? (Apart from people in First maybe).

On the way back to the UK I'm always in a good mood. Coming back to Japan is the killer.