Best/Favorite Songwriter of All Time ?!!?

So yeah, I was listening to Jonny Cash this morning, and I was amazed at the number of people who had glommed their big hits off of him - "I won`t back down" glommed by Tom Petty, that "One Love" song that U2 always does up so big, "Ring of Fire" that was done so well by Social Distortion and a few other artists, and it occured to me that the man was a really great songwriter.

Some other obvious greats are Paul Simon, John Lennon, Bob Marley and Bob Dylan.

As for the 90`s, I really like Tim Armstrong - Operation Ivy, Rancid - I think the man has alot of talent.

Those are my picks, who are your`s ? ? ?

Van Morrison (dunno what he's talking about, but it sounds good, and sometimes I think I know. Pretty crap of late though.)

Tom Waits. Oh he makes me chuckle.

John Cale. "She's Back from Amsterdam".

Paul Weller "...and a kick in balls now that's enter-tain-ment!"

'Course Bob Marley is right up there too.

60s Dylan

70s Stevie Wonder (prob. my all time)

80s Prince or the Smiths

90s Erykah Badu. The only 90s rock I can really remember is Oasis, so a populist shout to Noel for the first two albums.

Good call on Tim Armstrong, Barok! Anyone with a tattoo inside their lip that says "beer" with an arrow pointing in gets extra marks from me.

I'd also add Neil Young to the list of people mentioned above.

If we're just talking strictly lyrics writing, then I think I'd have to include alot of rap acts like:

A Tribe Called Quest

De La Soul

Biz Markie

Mos Def

MC Gusto cool.gif ...

For me:

REM

Morrissey/Marr together

But the songwriter whos songs have meant most to me for the longest time would have to be Martin Gore (post '88). cool.gif

good lists up there...classics all of them...

any of you heard of Keller Williams...he is a great songwriter...plays a 10-string acoustic, kind of a michael hedges style...but he writes great music and great lyrics...I love him

2 thumbs up clap.gif

danz

i think i stated once before in another post (about country music), that Jonny Cash is tha coolest man in tha world cool.gif his lyrics wrrokk!

also agree with most peoples posts: Marley, Hendrixs, Lennon, Waits. but i`d also like to add Kurt Cobain and Tim Buckley ;\) and an ozzie, Tim Rogers, of "You am I". All write classy lyrics.

yes powwwers! Tim Buckley. I'd also add his son Jeff Buckley to the list too.

Another good songwriter is the guy from Red House Painters. Also Neil Young, Thom Yorke, and David Gedge (talking head) are blatently classic.

Bob Marley

Prince

Billy Joel

Tupac Shakur

Eminem

Buddy Holly

M. Stipe

Jimmy Cliff

Morrison and Morrisey

Kamakawiwo'ole

My Dad

Greggory Isaacs

and ......and many more.

He's all image, no substance. Just like a number of US acts like Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson.....

Look at me , I hate my mum and can communicate through raising my middle finger.

That time Elton John and him did their 'duet' I think the Rocket Man should've gently squeezed his arse...... ;\)

Matthews

where should lyrics be scribbled? Do you have the special "lyrics scribble location" that sent YOU to platinum? Could you give me the name of YOUR last platinum selling song? I'll surely download it and give you a listen.

Like him or not Eminem writes some pretty witty lyrics. Respect him or not, he's a multimillionaire for using the words he chooses. What are you? A petty English teacher? Just a guess. Nova?

Mum?? Yeah, American rappers are frequently quoted talking about 'mum'.....moron

Just the sort of bland and personalised response I'd expect from you Kintaro, you've once again proved that rather than reading a post, you just scan it and jump in head first and offer NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE.

Perhaps....just maybe.... the fact that he concentrates so much on his image and he's white makes it easier for young white teenagers to by into that "I'm a tough gangster" mythology.

I'd hazard a guess that an awful lot of his fans are middle class white kids, going through puberty and rebellious stage (thats not you is it Kintaro?).

Oh and as for writting lyrics I'd suggest, a note pad, or if your really desperate a napkin.

I will admit that some of his LYRICS are quite witty, but he's still no where near a great songwriter, that is a person that can write songs and doesn't really on over production and sampling etc etc

Nova...wrong...again.

Petty English teacher....well done you're wrong...again.

jimmy, good life. I'm super mellow. But thanks for the inquiry. It's good to know fellow snow enjoyers care. I'm chilling out. Abusive...you crack me up. Let me guess, your the shimpu part of a gay marriage?

Mr. Matthews,

I'm sorry to so belligerently poke fun at you. If you find constructive life guiding information from this forum I'm sure the wrong person to listen to is me. Ignore all future posts from Kintaro and continue on your journey to self enlightenment from Snow Japan rider's forum from the various other participants. I am only entertaining myself. It's a bad habbit. Just a suggestion..maybe you and that fellow above who suggested my childhood was improper could get together and form a family. Did you check out the same sex marriage thread? Good luck.

What!? You're super mellow in real life, until you sneek onto the computer when the wife ain't looking and turn into K-I-N-T-A-R-O "Super Abusive Hawiian Preacher"

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Yeah I did as it happens and your 2c worth gave me a chuckle.

Quote:
Gays: if you want to be married, draft your own little paper, tell all your friends your married and live accordingly. Who the hell cares if you are recognized by the local authorities?

Nice one! I can see why Eminems lyrics appeal to you.