My friend and me are hoping to go to USA this summer for 10 days. We can't decide where to go, maybe California or another area.

Can I ask US people here - where do you recommend we go?

Great! Have a good trip! \:D

what do you like??? nature? museums? theatre? food?

10 days...hmmm...well, if you want your fill of culture, night-life, and cuisine, than nothing beats NY City...one of the greatest cities in the world...soooo much to do

boston is a georgeous city with plenty to do and less intense than NY...also easy access to Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire if you want to see small new england towns and some great hiking...

if you want some nature, head west...try some of our beautiful national parks : Yellowstone (Wyoming), Tetons (Wyoming...one of my favs), Yosemetie (CA), Grand Canyon...a bit hard to get to w/out a car, but well worth it...

San Fran is like a west-coast boston...lots to do and very cute...

those would be my picks...is it your first time?? when you going??

danz

Both the big city and nature??

I"m from San Francisco, it's a pretty fun place, also you do not need a car to get around. Lots of clubs, museums and restaurants. I would also take the ferry to Sausalito and spend a day there. Also, Muir Woods with its redwood tree forest is worth a visit. Probably my favorite place in SF has got to be North Beach, with all its Italian restaurants.

If you want to see nature and have time, I would recommend trying some National Parks in Utah, particularly Zion and Bryce. The Grand Canyon is also worth a visit, of course. Probably easiest route is fly to Las Vegas, and either take a bus or rent-a-car and go from there. If you want to stay a few days in Las Vegas, probably the nicest hotel is the Bellagio. But anyway, August is peak season, so I'd check pretty quickly.

If you happen to go to NY, be sure to take the boat trip around Manhattan - it's a fantastic trip with some of the biggest buildings at one end, and green fields at the other.

You can have alot of fun in Seattle - best combo in the US - forests, mountains, the ocean, and a hip, happening city. rent a car needed, cheap hotels in the center of city available.

It's proabably easiest for you to get to a city on the west coast. You would have a good time in Seattle, San Francisco, or even Vancouver, Canada.

If you come to Seattle I can show you around. There is a ton to do and see and the weather here right now is beautiful. The mountains are very nearby and the Puget Sound allows for some easy island hopping. Seattle as a city is definitely a big city...but it doesn't feel it compared to Tokyo.

I love San Francisco as well. There is so much to do there, and it is beautiful as well. You can spend 10 days just walking around SF and exploring. You won't need a car there. In Seattle you will want a car for at least part of the time.

Vancouver is a great city and also incredibly beautiful. I haven't spent as much time there (lots of 1 night trips between my 19th and 21st years \:D ) but it might not be quite as easy to fill 10 days with excitement as it would be in Seattle or SF. Get a hold of Dane if you go there.

Definitely let me know if you come to Sea-town.

And I'd like to ask you, too.

Do we need a car for sightseeing in the US cities?

When I went to California before, my father or sister was there. So I didn't need to drive a car, since they always drive and take me to the places.

Which city can we enjoy sightseeing without car driving? Probably, NY, SF...

When I travel abroad, I always visit my friends.

It's the best way for me because they know where to go and they are very happy to show me their city.

That's nice, akibun! You've got a friend in Seattle! wave.gif

Yeah of course. But you better make it quick cuz I plan to be out of here again by the end of September.

Slow - if you are going to spend only a few days (maybe less than a week) there are a lot of cities you do not need a car for. I could imagine getting a hotel in downtown Seattle and walking around/exploring the city. You can also take the bus. But just be aware it isn't like getting around in Tokyo. If you can get a car for maybe a day or two there are a lot of other things you can see and do.

SF, NY, Boston, Washington DC, maybe Chicago no need for a car. Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Miami, Baltimore, Philadelphia, more you could get by. I couldn't imagine LA without a car.

i would dearly love to spead a prolonged period exlporing colorado, utah and arizona, and more of the west coast. a drive thru from canada to south america would be supreme, but may not be happening this lifetime...

I don't know if you can just drive to South America. There certainly isn't an intercontinental highway.

Las Vegas - Give yourself at least 3 days...but probably no more than 6. No need for a car there. But if you are in to desert, the drive from LA to Vegas via Death Valley puts you through a lot of pretty desert.

the pan american highway goes from alaska to the tip of south america. its 16,000miles long, but there are two missing links about for about 54 miles thru national parks in panama and colombia. that will get you pretty close to south america. and i dont know what the deal is about going over the panama canel.