DISCLAIMER: So I don`t know why I am bringing this topic up, as I really don`t like the bad vibes that controversial topics bring up. Over the past few months, I think the level of conversation on the board has deteriorated considerably. I am all for healthy debate - but when people get personal, surfing this board feels more and more like surfing Japan Today, or one of many lame Enlgish Language Japan websites, which consist of a few people debating, and the rest of the people flaming each other, name calling, etc. just lame. Of course it is not my message board, and I don`t want to tell anyone what to do, but this is my favorite internet site by far, and there are other message boards where people can go and bash each other till the sun comes up. . .

This board is only as good as the people on it.

But anyway, bringing you another controversial topic - AIDS in Africa.

It`s a bad situation and there is little hope. Alot of people say America should start medicating all of these folks. In some ways, I see their point. AIDS is having an incedible destabilizing effect on Africa - the sexually mature generation is quickly dying off, to the tune of 40-50% in some regions. And if a continent is destabilized to the point of collapse, it is bad for them and for the rest of the world. I also don`t like to hear about so much death and suffering, but I don`t really see how it is the United States or the West or anyone but Africa`s responsibility to fix this problem. AIDS is believed to have come from Africa, so the AIDS problem in Africa was not brought to them by anyone else. It is truly their problem, along with the rest of the world`s, now. I know there is rape associated with civil war, and have been taught that there is, in general a strong rape culture in Africa (If a man wants to have sex with a woman, there is little she can really do to say no). And I don`t really have much respect for these men who can`t stop having sex to save their own or their people`s lives, don`t see the point in spending tax money on keeping them alive. Education ? Yeah, I`d spend tax money on that, but it hasn`t exactly worked wonders in the States - I don`t know where the numbers are heading, but I think it is still up.

So what do you think ? Will this problem be solved or what will happen to Africa ? What can/should the West/the USA do to help ?

good points there Barok, throwing cash and medicine at them will alleviate the burden but Aids is a disease that requires a lot of understanding and education, and unfortuneately that is incompatible with the culture of many African men. There is no quick fix, attitudes have to make quantum leaps, ruthless leaders like Mugabe have to go, Political issues in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Congo, Nigeria, Zimbabwe et al need to be seriously resolved and a massive campaign of attitude change undertaken. But I only a true optimist could really hope that it could come to fruition. Africa as a conglomerate of nations must change, make a genuine effort before sticking out theirs hands to the USA and other nations. By all means we should help but a shoulder to lean on, not a piggy back.

As the proverb goes, "may the lord help those who help themselves"

fair points kamo, but we shouldnt set the bar too high. AIDS in africa is a problem of global concern, as are the unfavourable political systems which dominate the continent. the problems are deep an no simple or quick answer is available (a similar situation to the faced by the indigenous peoples of some industrial countries). but the answer can't be in ignoring it.

globalisation of trade should bring with it the a globalisation of responsibility for the well-being of the planet's people. if everyone can agree that a sustainable future is in everyones interest (its hard not to) then there is an apparent urgency in addressing these problems, AIDS among them.

the answers lie in capacity building and education. the obstacles in corruption and lack of funding.

although it is fair to say these countries have not done enough to address the problems (many of the worst hit nations still spend more on the military than health and education combined), we should still assist as best we can... i can't offer any specific ideas except dedicated and prolonged efforts, and sharing of 'best practice' solutions that have succeeded.

this leads to one of the gripes i have with the world... we got it too good, and our relentless thirst for more, without due concern for the rest of humanity sets a bad example to the rest of the world. the corrupt of these natoins exploit their own people. big business from the west exploit the people of other countries, often legally.

so i suggest a dramatic increase in official development assistance. focussed on matters like water, population and AIDS, and infrastructure development. these countries need help before they can care for themselves. much of this aid will pissed against a wall, but some will get through. this inefficiency is unavoidable as of now, but preferable to nothing. places like the UNFPA have a lot of good ideas but continually struggle for the support they need from developed countries.

as for AIDS, generic drugs will be immensely valuable in supporting the working population of these countries. a country with no farmers or teachers is in a dire state indeed. along with this increased rights and education for women have been shown to the most effective way of dealing with many of the problems associated with poverty, and are effective in reducing the spread of HIV.

thank u mr. bush, for offering to help africa with its problems with terrorism, but concern over other issues is more pressing, and will not go away for a long time. i think guiding the development of these countries, while modifying the lifestyles in our own (pretty broad, yeah ;\) ) are the biggest challenges facing our generation.

They should take all the money that all of the Nigerian millionaires are trying to get rid of and use that to fund education and medicine dispersal.

Although it doesn't address the long term issue so much, one of the large problems with the situation is the cost of the AIDS treatment drugs. Large drug companies control the patents on drugs that can ease suffering and prolong a livable life, but many of these drugs are completely unobtainable to poor Africans at the prices demanded by the companies.

Good topic. And I really have no idea.

As for your disclaimer, I know what you're saying barok. I think the frustration of not having any snow has something to do with it! The other frustration being just a handful of infuriating people ;\) --- I just ignore them.

\:D

Thanks for the comments barok.

Most of us surely agree with what you're saying, and we do ask & hope that everyone using these Forums stick to healthy debate, rather than those flames that sometimes begin to appear. Happily, the vast majority of people using the Forums do just that....

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by barok:
DISCLAIMER: So I don`t know why I am bringing this topic up, as I really don`t like the bad vibes that controversial topics bring up. Over the past few months, I think the level of conversation on the board has deteriorated considerably. I am all for healthy debate - but when people get personal, surfing this board feels more and more like surfing Japan Today, or one of many lame Enlgish Language Japan websites, which consist of a few people debating, and the rest of the people flaming each other, name calling, etc. just lame. Of course it is not my message board, and I don`t want to tell anyone what to do, but this is my favorite internet site by far, and there are other message boards where people can go and bash each other till the sun comes up. . .

This board is only as good as the people on it.
eek.gif

Hey, barok, just feel free to start another contentious post with a free-wheeling swipe at whoever you feel like, without naming names.
> when people get personal...
No, you got that wrong, it's when people just drop broard hints that things start deteriorating.

As far as I can judge, there are very few people here who can bear being contradicted once, let alone twice. Healthy debate? For the most part, not seen. (Actually, some people had a damn good try on the same-sex marriage debate, while others lost it horribly.)

I'm disgusted.
 Quote:
this leads to one of the gripes i have with the world... we got it too good, and our relentless thirst for more, without due concern for the rest of humanity sets a bad example to the rest of the world. the corrupt of these natoins exploit their own people. big business from the west exploit the people of other countries, often legally.
So true, and it's not going to change is it.... \:\(