I am confused about different country different kind of weight measuring. Why do some country still using stone and pound? Is it old style or measure or just different?

Thanks, aki

Yeah yeah Jared.... ;\)

1 Stone = 14 Pnds....

2.2 Pnds = 1 KG....

There was a fruit'n' veg guy in the UK recently who was taken to court for not using the Metric system....he lost his case, but he customers refused to shop at his stall if he didn't keep on using Imeprial measurements.

I'm into the metrics personally but I thought it was incredibly anal, and just wrong for the EU to outlaw imperial measurements. No wonder the majority of people in the UK are Eurosceptics.

i use kg's and ive just moved to canada and everyone is still talking in feet, miles, pounds etc. its bizarre because road signs, packaging etc are all written in metric but almost everybody, even people my age are still talking in imperial terms. confused.gif

Just coz it's "easy" for you NS don't mean it's easy for people who are used to Imperial units.

I remember going to Amsterdam.... trying to by some of Afghans finest in grams was just wrong! I was very confused.....

"Can I have a quarter please?"

"Sorry only grams here my friend."

" eek.gif !!"

Surprised no die hard Americans have chimed in here yet. We have no idea what metric units are. We only, only use pounds, inches, feet, miles, ounces, fahrenheit, etc. We are aware they exist, but few Americans know how to correctly convert. I'm all for conversion...but it ain't gonna happen any time soon, lemme tell ya.

I can understand the continued use feet/inches for height, its easy to visualize a guy who is 6'3". but 191cm is a little harder

weight kg is easier pounds are too smaller a unit.

100kg is easier to visualize than 220 pounds.

and pretty much all the other metrics are so much easier.

In NZ only pounds still remain for babies weights, (so old fogies can understand)

BUT while I can tolerate the use of other imperial units I cant stand the use of Fahrenheit!

Its the worst measurement in the world! it doesnt easily convert. What scale has its major reference points at 32 and 212degrees! thats impossible to easily assimilate.

Celsius all the way 0 it freezes and 100 it boils! simple!

Questions for Americans.

Do Surveyors in the US use "Links" for distance. Pre 1972 (imperial) plans in NZ use them. There are roughly 5 links to a metre. IN NZ usual measurement for non-surveyors pre 1972 was feet as it is now in the US, so I was just wondering is you still use links also.

never heard of links. but we do use the metric system for some stuff- 25meter pool, 100meter fields, etc. and i way prefer to use celsius for temperature. i dont understand what fahrenheit means at all!

But we also use Yards for fields. 100 yards to a football field (300 feet). 90 feet in between the bases in Baseball. Meters are just used in sports like raceing that have a stronger international community.

I agree with you Kamo, but the fact remains that in general Americans don't know what Celcius is. When you can't picture a unit it is worthless and the thought of "converting" to a different system is frightening. "We already have a system that works for us...why change," is the common mentality. You mix units for what seems "easier" for you (KG for weight, in/ft for height) but you gotta understand the most Americans frankly do not have a clue what a KG is.