So I just got done watching Sean Connery fumble around with Japanese greetings in "You Only Live Twice" - not what I expected of James Bond, who in the beginning of the movie brags that he "took a first in Oriental Languages at Cambridge." lol.gif Whatever that means. But overall I gotta give Connery credit for making a good effort. Really, he remembered his lines, and only confused pronunciation. Did alot better than Halle Berrie did in "Austin Powers Goldmember."

Japan seems to show up all the time in non-Japanese movies, as kindof a theme. Any ideas why ? Interesting culture and city-scapes perhaps?

Anyway, what are some other examples of Japan in the movies ? Connery himself did another Japan movie much more recently - Rising Sun - a terrible crime drama, that seemed to focus on every stereotype they could dig up. Long boring narration on Japanese management (and why it is superior ;\) ) and the perversions of Japanese businessmen. Not exactly rivetting cinema.

I actually thought Rising Sun was quite entertaining - possibly because it was so bad!

Black Rain with Michael Douglas was the same kind of thing. Weren't there some Japanese business baddies in Disclosure too? might be mixing that up with something else there.

Japan does seem to pop up quite a bit, even if it is just a reference (and usually a very stereotypical one).

Congrate to James on his first at Cambridge though! \:D

Trying to think of some more examples...

Not heard much about that one, but sounds interesting.

I've not really noticed much Japan in movies I've seen, but now I can speak some of the lingo and have lived here I'm sure it changes the way it seems. I'll have to give that Bond movie another visit I reckon.

how about cameron diaz speaking nihongo in the first charlies angels? she says just one sentence, but in a chinese-sounding accent- like trying to make it sound superasian. sounded weird though.

In one Japan-themed episode, the Simpsons go to a sushi restaurant and have fugu that is prepared by the chef's assistant while the main man is outside on the phone. He then comes back and goes ape, shouting "Bakayaro!" and a stream of other curses at his assistant. Homer overhears this and (with no intended irony) says

"Japanese - it's such a beautiful language".

They then go to karaoke where Bart and Lisa sing the theme from "Shaft". It's pretty cool. Tenuously on the same theme, the funk bar Zip in Osaka used to have Simpsons chess-set on the counter.

In another episode I saw, they all go to Japan and go straight to an US-themed bar-restaurant.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...