I'm totally down with buying goods second hand if it saves me some dough. Things like books and cars are great. I am more hesitant for electronics and goods where I may be sacrificing a warranty.

I have a fine Yamaha amplifier and Onkyo speakers from hard-off. Cost me next to nothing and sounds better than anything you could find for under 4 or 5 man at a regular store. Come with a 3 month guarentee too.

I got a CD changer for my car at Hard Off. It was a fair bit cheaper than a new one, but a new one probably would have been compatible with mp3. I had to fit it myself, but that was quite interesting in itself.

I once had a very interesting book about the Battle of Trafalgar that I accidentally dropped down the toilet. I still managed to sell it to a fellow history enthusiast, even though he knew it had been in my toilet...

(after I explained the full circumstances and flushing 'history')

Second hand things are fine, if you can find what you want. My office chair is a fine bit of 2nd hand kit.

Ocean, you are so funny! lol.gif

The neat paranoiac annoys me.

I understand that feeling but I don't like when somebody says "I can't touch this."

Too much imagination...

Second hand is great. I love getting my hands on something that I want and at a fraction of the cost. It is however tough in Tokyo to find the item you are after and even harder to get it home. Lat year was the first time in my life that I have owned a brand new tv, fridge, washing machine, microwave, tumble dryer. I now regret buying all of it new.

It seems to me that Japanese people are in fact very happy with 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, 5th, Nth) hand things. For example, grubby Izakaya slippers that 20 tinea-ridden sento-going feet have worn before you. Mmmmm, the sense of community makes my feet itch.

The angst over 2nd hand books surprises me....what could you possibly catch??

But then again, i'm one of those people who thinks nothing about getting comfortable in public toilets. When you gotta go....

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
Last year was the first time in my life that I have owned a brand new tv, fridge, washing machine, microwave, tumble dryer. I now regret buying all of it new.
Definitely the microwave. ;\)

I used to leave the room when db used the microwave for serious fear it would explode.

I considered getting you a new microwave when I left but went with the cigars instead \:D

BTW - Sparks, have you broken in the device I left you with?

how about second hand clothes? i shopped at thrift stores a lot in the us, but here they are too expensive. but sometimes i indulge. got a gorgeous 2nd hand kimono and obi in tokyo.

Second hand is the way to go. Clothes are so expensive. Why wouldn`t somebody want second hand. All my dress and golf shirts (the ones with crocodiles) I use for work have come from second hand. Maybe I would draw the line at undergarments but second hand is the way to go.

Whats the deal with books. Who cares if its used. At least you know somebody enjoyed it. A used book has character.

I got used touring bindings for 40 dollers CDN off of a gear swap site on MEC. Sure they are really old but they do the job for now.

Would all the strictly new buying people by a new car as well because they are worried sombody may have been sick while in the car?