Crop circles are fascinating things. I've watched heaps of doco's about them. Interesting stuff. I don't think that humans can do them in the time they are done and to the prefection they are done to. Some of the designs are huge and so damn complex theres no way it could be humans.

Seen too many documentaries on these things, and they're done by people. People have created much more incredible things in human history than a bunch of patterns in cornfields.

Does that mean to say I don't think aliens exist? Not at all... but I think there are probably a few really clever groups out there doing these circles duping everyone in the process.

Discovery channel actually used to have a crop circles making competition. University professors would judge the winner based on symmetry, design etc and the presence of unusual phenomena such as iron shavings (easy to do) etc etc etc.

With a few people, the right tools and a good design it was amazing what they could come up with in such a short time.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
They seem to do OK with the smaller stuff, but when it comes to the massive designs, humans don't seem to cut it.
Oh come on...
Humans built the pyramids, the great wall of china, the hoover dam, and invented heated toilet seats that can spray your bum clean with water....

Any group of semi-smart folks could get together and figure out how to draw some pictures in a corn field, no matter how complex they appear.
 Quote:
But they did make some pretty impressive stuff.
You missed this part of the quote MistaS.

There is no doubt in my mind that humans can create the huge complex crop circles given enough time. I didn't mention that before. Obviously if you have a couple of days then yeah, sure, humans could do it no worries. But to my knowledge all of the designs appear over night, under the cover of darkness. It is that constraint that leads me to believe that humans couldn't do the really big ones.

I remember an interview from the doco where they were talking to one of the girls participating and they asked her if it was as hard as she anticipated. I remember she answered that she expected it to take ages flattening the corn although found with a few planks attached to rope it was quick and easy. I guess if you had enough people anything would be possible?

sbf - my bad, misread that last part...

I think Antonio's got the right idea. Imagine a crop circle club has a 100+ people working from dusk till dawn on a design... I'm sure it's possible to crank out one of those really complex designs in a night.

Yeah if you had 100+ ppl working on it then ii'm sure you'd be able to bang out some pretty neat stuff if youi had the right equipment. But then you have to start thinking about how much noise 100 people are going to make. Most people who have had crop circles appear on their land have no idea until they wake up the next morning.

I'm playing the devils advocate a bit - just trying to get everyone thinking!

\:D

Yes......Aliens travel the huge distances required to come to earth........and do nothing but make cool pictures in corn fields. I can see the reasoning in that! Face it guys, half the crop circles in the U.K were made by some guys with planks and rope, they filmed all of them and released the doco after many "credible" UFO experts had gone ape about the circles saying that they could not possibly be made by humans! A bit embrassing. Think about it.

Dims

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
Most people who have had crop circles appear on their land have no idea until they wake up the next morning.
.... and jump into their helicopter as most crop circles are only visible from the air ;\) :p