I was talking with friend (Japanese) last night and subject of gun in US is talked about. We watch movies and TV program and it looks like too many gun and very easy for geting. But I can't believe it like that. Is it really like that? Is it so easy to getting a gun or not?

Thank you for answer!

Guns: Yes, really like that. Super easy to get and way too many availiable! If you know a guy who knows a guy....you can get a very cheap unregistered gun and at many different callibres. Also, small gun shops will often look the other way on registration requirements or totally bypass background checks in order to make some money and stay in business. Guns are out of controll in the U.S. in my opinion. The makers and the sellers feel unnaccountable for whatever happens to the guns they sell. Tighter controll of laws, stricter penalties for missuses, negligence, etc need to be taken more seriously. I knew guys in highschool that carried Glocks to beat the security checks. They were 16, 17, 18 years old. And their .380 was usually in the car glove box! I had a 12 guage shotgun for hunting that my dad gave me And I used it responsibly but I'm now against the use of guns and the private ownership of them in most cases. I would listen to arguments for hunting and target range sports but in general, the U.S. needs to get a grip on gun control. Ok, rant over.

Isn't the "Right to have a gun" in the consititution.....? - now that is a loaded question! \:D

There was a long thread about this stuff a while back. Pretty much thrashed the issue.

How about guns in Japan? How difficult/easy are they to get here? I've seen a couple of stores that sell imitation guns (at least I assumed they were) and all sorts of BB guns, but not much else. Can your average mullet wearin', pick-up drivin', inaka livin' good ol' boy get his hands on a gun to protect his dog'n'stuff?

That bank Michael Moore goes to in Bowling for Columbine has a "guns for money" program too.

He goes in, opens an account, and they give him a shotgun. Not a packet of tissues, a pen, or a crappy tape measure like they give you in Japan. A shotgun.

You can't make stuff like this up.

Quote:
Originally posted by NoFakie:
He goes in, opens an account, and they give him a shotgun. Not a packet of tissues, a pen, or a crappy tape measure like they give you in Japan. A shotgun.
This is fiction, right? Wasn''t that movie a fictional story?

I thought the States had guns for money programs on most street corners... no?

Why exactly would you have a guns for money program unless it was part of an amnesty period before much tighter legislation. From the little I know, the penalty for carrying an unlicensed gun in the states is pitiful.

In Britain, as i'm sure is the case in many other countries, carrying an unlicensed firearm is considered attempted murder, and carries a sentence that reflects a crime of this magnitude. Bringing similar laws to the states would surely aid the effectiveness of any amnesty program, and get at least a few illegal guns off the street.

The big question really has to be whether the legal assault on big tabacco will ever extend to arms manufacturers. Once they are forced to take financial responsibility for their sales, past and present, the will to clean up might just magically appear...

Of course it depends on who you are when caught with that unlicensed gun. First offense, no prior record of criminal misconduct, etc, will get you a night or two in jail and a $100 or so fine. A slap on the wrist.

Of course the guns for money program is on an amnesty basis. I know Whasington D.C. has picked up a lot of guns through these programs and then the guns are supposedly destroyed. It's just a dent in the supply. But one more gun off the street..

Obviously much more needs to be done.

My point was on an amnesty basis PRIOR TO INCREASING PENALTIES...

It's pointless taking guns off the street if they are still readily available for purchase from manufacturers. In fact, if I were in the gun industry, i'd fully support a guns for money program. The less secondhand guns available, the more new guns one's gonna buy...

Tell me i'm wrong, what are the gun related death stats since programs began in these areas?

Guns for money programs are a joke... I doubt they have any impact on gun crimes in the US, and I seriously doubt authorities destroy the weapons either (probably get sold to gun dealers at auction for dirt cheap for all we know). Even if they did, they would never be able to come close to destroying as many guns as are being manufactured and put on the streets.

I don't agree with the whole idea of stiffer penalties on guns though. The US has overcrowded prisons to begin with, and it's painfully apparent that prison does not prevent crime. A more constructive solution would be to pass a law holding every gun owner accountable for the weapon they purchased and registered (Something the NRA has fought adamantly...) I say, if you want the right to bear arms, you gotta bear the responsibility....