Hello. Well we nearly decide to go US late August or now maybe September.

I am interested, not only US, but how much is many living things in overseas country compared to Japan. Always we hearing Japan is expensive, but is it?

For example compared to US or UK or Australia, etc.

1 man goes WAY further in Australia than it does in Japan. Seldom in Oz would I even bother to carry that much money - it just isn't needed unless you are going out to dinner and drinking. Here in Japan if you start a normal day with 1 man you can find yourself sporting a lonely 1000 yen note plus coins by mid day without having done anything besides catch 2 trains, buy some deodorant and fruit and pay a bill.

As for prices in America... don't know, sorry Akibun (although I found beer in NY to be expensive at AUD15 a hit).

This is such a hard question. I would say that overall, Japan is only a tiny bit more expensive than America. You definitely pay more per square unit for living space, but there are other things (used cars) which are drastically cheaper in Japan. I think that when you see a price in Japan, you can pretty much figure that is what you will pay anywhere. In America you can almost always find a lower price if you shop around. There is no such thing as bulk pricing in Japan. If a can of coke costs you 100 Yen, then a six pack will cost you 600 Yen. In America a can of coke costs $1, a 6 pack is maybe $3, a 12 pack $5, 24 pack $9, etc. I was normally paying 2000-3500 Yen to get into a night club in Tokyo. I would laugh at more than $5-8 in Seattle. I saw Jurassic 5 in Seattle in December for $18. They played in Nagoya in February for 8000 Yen. Sushi cost around $4 for a single piece of good nigiri in Seattle that is about the same quality as a 110 Yen Kaiten shop where you would get 2.

I was recently in New York City and found it felt more expensive than Tokyo.

Akibun - where are you going?

Go to New Zealand!!!!! Even with the exchange rate at the moment being quite bad (in other words, the money I send home isn't worth as much as it used to be...) visiting NZ is cheap for both Americans and the Japanese. But don't go on one of those package tours offered in Japan. A friend showed be a travel catalogue and they are highly overpriced. We worked out everything would cost half of what the travel packages charge. Seriously, spending money in Japan is very painful when you convert to NZ dollars because everything seems so expensive \:\( ... but when you are earning yen and spending yen, it's not so bad!! \:D

PS. in August/September, there will be spring skiing in NZ... blue skies... sunshine...

I think Japan is cheaper than the UK in some respects, similar in others and more expensive in other ways. Visiting here is not a problem with pounds in your pocket.

xxx,

me too!!! My company just opened a NZ branch but I haven't visited yet. Can't wait!!

Addressing the question:

Japanese accomodations (biz hotels, ryokans, etc.) are expensive. I don't like that you have to pay PER PERSON per room. Is it like that in other countries??

Just got back from Hawaii. I'd say its cheaper in Americia for most things, espically if you shop and do your own cooking. Eating out is a similar price in Hawaii, but the size of serves is sooooo much bigger. Love the North shore (Oahu) by the way, have to go back in Winter for the surf! If you ever go, stay at the surfhouse, the most chilled cool hostel ever!

Dims

Dims,

where is the "surfhouse"? The North Shore should be crankin' by November. Did you catch any Ala Moana waves on the South side? Point Panick? I've been jonzing to catch some decent big waves. What else did you do in Hawaii??

Chauncey,

Unfortunately I was there mainly for business as I had a conference in Waikiki. Only surfed one day at a point on the opposite side to Diamond head. The north shore was dead flat but still beautiful and peaceful after tokyo, and it was sort of cool just to visit Waimea bay, Sunset beach and Pipline after reading about them for 20 years. Spent four days at the surfhouse which is in Haleiwa (largest town on the North Shore area) on the river just after the Rainbow bridge. The surfhouse has campsites and private cabins set in a small friut plantation which is lit up beautifully at night. Great place, great people running it and a chilled atmosphere. We feasted on BBQ tuna most days we were there, fresh from the fishing boats. Recommended highly to everyone!

Dims

canadians complain that canada is expensive, and america is even more expensive. the prices between canada and the U.S are virtually the same, but when you take the exchange rate into account, the U.S ends up being alot more expensive.

having lived in singapore, australia, japan and hong kong overall i'd say canada is second to australia ( for some things cheaper) as far as least expensive goes.

a surfboard costs AUD$600 ( cheaper if you know the shaper) in Australia. In japan the same one costs AUD$1800! ( when the rate was 56 it cost around AUD$2500)

but many things are cheap here..

scouser mentioned it somewhere but Japan is seeming less expensive all the time from this Brits viewpoint. Either that or UK is blinkin' rip off all round. Probably a combi of both.