Depends on how it's done. ( using sunscreen is ok, not OIL!)

I have been tanned all my life from living next to the beach & surfing etc etc. Since being in Japan and not being in the sun as much I am usually much whiter, which to tell you the truth when I look in the mirror i feel like I am sick! ( thats coz I have always been brown)

All of the Japanese lads that I surf with don't use sunscreen in trying to become almost black. You see them walking around Bali, Oz etc with skin hanging off their backs! eek.gif

Some have told me that they are men so they don't need to use sunscreen! I always tell them "show me how much of a man you are after spending a few hours in the aussie sun in summer with out cream" thats silly

You get extremes at both ends. Women fanatically covering up and spending a fortune in whitening creams that are probably just as bad for you as UV, and the ganguro/beach look where its the darker the better.

Would any English teachers reading this please tell their Japanese students that dark skin is "dark" and definitely not "black" and fair skin is "fair", not "white". It's one of the worst-sounding mistakes there is in Japanese English.

Mrsparkle you will find you get a more even tan if you lie in the sun. standing tends to just get the shoulders. \:D

This may be important if your objective is "getting a tan" like the topic title suggested.

Like Indo, I love the sun and used to be a very dark shade. I lived for it and it felt good. However as I become older I started to find the long hot days at the beach a hassle and for 2 summers didn't really care for the frying. Since Tokyo has turned me into a sickly pasty white turgid noodle, I have started to lust after my former topless in the Australian sun lifestyle.

The Australians are a little like the Japanese and their seasons when it comes to beaches and the sun. I detect that the average Australian thinks that it is "different" in Australia. I know I used to think as though Australia was the custodian of all things sun and salt water. In a way, this is probably due to the fact that 90% of the population live on the coast and in a warm climate. Feel free to mention our global domination in skin cancer cases.

i think cooking yourself is odd. but i do like to take the white tinge off myself...i'm very pale, and its not helped by lifestyle sun underexposue. my skin looks healthier after a (very small) bit of of sun. but now no tan lines....

i wish i had stronger skin. i hate sun cream, and i need to apply it without fail. direct midday sun makes me pink. \:\(

I got a cold when I first arrived home for my vacation a couple of weeks ago, and determined not to be sick for the duration of my stay, I downed some antibiotics.

Without thinking about it, I headed to the beach to relax, and sat in the sun for about 3 hours with no sun block (which normally wouldn't burn me)...

When I got back to the car, I realized my skin was super red, and then turned reddish purple by the end of the evening... Apparently anti-biotics make your skin super sensitive and easily susceptible to sunburn.

I spent the rest of my vacation burnt and unable to return to the beach. I'm still peeling... 2 weeks later. \:\(

I'm quite olive naturally anyway and tan pretty easyily as well. Actually, i may just be olive because i spend a fair bit of time in the sun.

I've got a killer goggle tan at the moment. I feel like a complete prat, every second person stares at me like a disease or something. But it'll be gone soon.

I wear my shorts and new style basketball shirt while riding my bike to work. Thats my attempt to get some color.

I Think the japanese white look is rather a sickly image. Tanning without cream is stupid with the amount of UV out there.

I have burned myself bad enough to know not to do it again.

I now have a nice tan attained through just relaxing and swimming in the sunshine for a week in Thailand-not too much purposeful roasting. I started off so white there was no line separating my ass and my back-the type of zero definition only possible from a 2 month rainy season. I sunblocked it all the way with a floppy hat and t-shirt to throw on when the going got tough and I couldn't be in the shade.

Result was minimal burning, a tiny amount of superficial peeling & a sheen that no longer makes me look like a corpse. Tans are good but I reckon you have to take it real slow and "slip, slop, slap!".

what Mr sparks said about going home etc.

I really hate going on a surf trip ( especially in Japans winter) and getting frizzled the first few days and being in pain the rest of the trip. I found a solution! Go to a gym with the not so strong tanning facilities ( maybe 2-3 times week B4 trip) spend a few thousand yen and get a base tan then come holiday time no more lobster down time.

call me a faggot or whatever you want but that way I get to enjoy my holiday without looking like a tourist! If i did it every week for looks then by all means....!

Lots of Brits are obsessed about tans and getting out in the sun to a ridiculous extent. And lots usually just end up lobster red and burnt. Gives em good moaning material though ;\)

lol.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently suffering the consequences of some pretty moronic behaviour.

I bought some 100 strength sunblock, put it on the bits I could reach, then went out on the sea in a rubber boat. I thought I got most parts. I was glad to see that my arms were going a 'healthy tanned' colour. Then when I got in the shower later, I realised that my back hurt like a bastard, and checking it in the mirror, the whole middle part where I couldn't reach was a most unhealthy raw red. My family was much entertained by the fact that finger marks were also visible, proving the effectiveness of just a swipe of sunblock.

Still hurts like hell. And itches. That'll be the cancer kicking in.