Proud Americans survive 12 whole hours without electricity

I was just watching CNN and Ive got to say how touched I was at this story of Strength and Courage on the part of the American public. There were several interviews with people whose lives had been shattered by this terrible event. One girl was bravely fighting on despite not having had a hot shower for well over 12 hours.

The determined spirit of these people should serve as an example for other countries to follow. Instead of whineing about lack of food medicine and basic human rights these people should look at the brave struggle of the New York citizens under extreme adversity.

God Bless America.

jesus peaker...

relax buddy...

I imagine that the same situation in many other countries around the world would have resulted in vanadalism, looting, and god knows what else...

believe it or not, but we are very dependent on our elecy, and losing it for 12 hours on such a large scale is a big deal, and the way the citizens responded is also refreshing...this is not a blown fuse...a bit more dramatic than that...

and sbf, bolowing for columbine is a great flick, but I do not see the relevance, unless you think the blackout is part of some nra conspiracy...

danz

Guys/girls..

i dont think peaker is going over the top. sure this is unfortunate but most africa, south america and central asia dont have any of the amenities that were disrupted in Nth america. There are much more pressing issues at hand in the world.

its a power blackout.

im sure some people were badly affected but for many it should be an exercise to learn from. unexpected things happen all the time, maybe not on this scale, but there have been earthquakes in japan recently where people dont have houses etc.

things arent all that bad.

How can you associate a power blackout in the North East of USA and Southern Canada, to the pressing issues you've described?

In fact I don't doubt they are pressing, BUT WHERE IS THE LINK? Apart from "news worthiness" ?

But being as Peaker was watching CNN, does a major blackout in the United States deserve coverage on a US news network.... :rolleyes:

The problems in Africa etc are an ongoing concern I don't see what the above mentioned is trying to achieve with such a petty swipe at a problem which COULD'VE had major consequences.

It's just pure anti-us cr*p!

bowling for colombine - no relevance except the "USA" whole cant live with out power cant live with out guns...

anyways...

on 2 levels...

1. i is much harder for a country that is reliant on its elecy to operate with out it, countrys that dont have it are use to it and would be turned in to termoil if they had elecy....

2. i dont think its such a huge deal i mean it was 12 hours big deal just grab a candle and play cards entertain ur self like they would have in the early 19th century and before. if you own a shop then go sit out front of it just cause theres no elecy that dseont mean u cant get in ur car and guard ur shop but the americans prolly didnt think of that i guess they just whinged they couldnt have light to find a torch.

anyways im shocked that this has turned in to a minor debate....!

neversummer and peaker, i hear ya!

and mr matthews the aint-us Crap u speak off is only brought on by the usa making such huge deal about everything and the media being so full on and "oh my god i didnt have a hot shower for 12 hours!" cant the american public think about anything better than how they look. come on its all brought on by themselves.

im all for the aint-us crap... oh that topic bush isnt the brightest man on earth hes just the leader of bowling for colombine - hes a war and gun monga... if its not iraq its nth korea if its not them then what....

blah blah blah, dramatic News sells in the USA and since the USA is the media leader of the world then surely some of the dramatics will reach us invariably, when you control the media then you can show whatever style of News you want, stale conservative News or dramatic or whatever.

Case in Point. A half dozen miners are trapped for days in Penn State, its massive news, thrilling gripping stuff. 60 miners die in China and it gets a mention in the briefs on page 7.

Rupert, Ted et al will deliver what the consumer demands. supply and demand, supply and demand.

If you dont like the dramatic angle then avoid Fox and CNN and watch BBC.

Better still switch off the telly, and hit the slopes :p

cnn fox abc nbc are all american companies of course american news would take Precedence over news in china.

If you want to talk about the bs these news stations are spilling out then thats a different topic altogether.

The way people reacted in north america was refreshing. violence and petty crime were way down.

we have come to rely on power so much that we need power. most people dont have candles, bottled water etc. Are hospitals are very dependent on that same power.

Sparkles, the trouble is even the BBC shunted Monrovia and Iraq off its head lines in preference for pictures of tens of thousands of Americans getting some much needed exercise. It does sometimes seem that when it comes to US dominated news, you run but you can't hide.

It was a pretty amazing situation nonetheless and the imagery was remarkable, just a little unfortunate that the inconvenience of Americans seems to be more news worthy than the life and death struggles of people in third world countries, or perhaps the pictures were more likely to grab the attention of the targeted audience than more pictures of gun totting africans.

Peaker, mate I think you might be on the wrong website. Try

http://www.greenleft.org.au/globalaction/s11/index.shtml

Probably no other reason than the fact that the demographic audience for English language news programmes is overwhelmingly anglo-saxon. Pictures of people who look like us are more engaging than pictures of people who don't live similar lives and who don't look like us. I'm sure there are all sorts of reasons why humans feel a greater afinity for those are similar than for those are not. No point in having a news service that no one wants to watch.

Maybe its some sort of genetic survival instinct or maybe its just because we grow up on a force feed diet of American culture and repond to the conditioning like so many of pavlov's dogs. But relative proximity (cultural or physical)is a big factor I reckon. Like most people, I would probably be more interested in the death of a person who lives accross town than I would be in the 10 deaths that occurred the same day on the other side of the world. That is not assigning an absolute value to anyone's life, it is simply more relevant to my life.

Aside from the fact that peaker is a troll who pops up every six months and says something to get somebody's goat...

Has the big deal perhaps got something to do with the fact that NY suffered a rather terrible terrorist attack that has left English speaking peoples a bit jittery? Every time something unfortunate happens, the first thing officialdom says is "It's not terrorism linked" as if everybody imagines it might be. Also, as terrorists are said to be ready to target power and water supplies some time soon, many people are anxious about how our society, which is dependent on this sort of thing, will cope. It may be possible that we too can be bombed back to the Stone Age by clever terrorists.

The fact that one section of English speaking society coped reasonably well (albeit with something that isn't particularly awful), makes it newsworthy, and something of a 'silver lining' story.

I had hoped America and Canada might go to war over this. (In the 30s, both countries actually had war plans in place for attacking and defending against each other. Had America tried it on, Canada had a plan for a counter invasion that would have devastated the Northern US, something that apparently hadn't occurred to US planners. No surprises there...)

Quote:
Case in Point. A half dozen miners are trapped for days in Penn State, its massive news, thrilling gripping stuff. 60 miners die in China and it gets a mention in the briefs on page 7.
May this be the result of a communist state, where the mine and the news agency are owned and run by the state. It's unlikely China wants to shout about the fact that they have the most unsafe mining infastructure in the world.

I think that if you watched the Chinese news they would likely make a big deal about the Chinese miners. If you watch the American news they will make a big deal about the American miners. If you watch the Japanese news they will make a big deal over a person who was abducted to North Korea getting a japanese drivers licence and a seal in a river.

Quote:
Originally posted by jared:
If you watch the Japanese news they will make a big deal over a person who was abducted to North Korea getting a japanese drivers licence and a seal in a river.
Is that all one news story