compared to Australia, fruit in Japan is average at best, limited in variety and volume to select from and rather expensive to boot.

There is some good fruit here, but it not the best country for a fruit lover.

I realized Mango getting cheaper here. ( Maybe all tropical fruit) That's good! Summer-Autumn is the fruit season in Japan. Suika, Momo, Nashi, Budo, Kaki...

I enjoy tropical fruit better in other asian countries.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
You forgot figs there slow... Catch them just before they go rotten and your eyes will roll up inside your head with pleasure.
For a quick snack, I presented some fresh figs to MrSparkle recently (with prosciutto, cheese etc) and his eyes rolled in disgust. They were not quite at the stage of ripeness that you described, Ocean, but they were in very good condition, 2 days off being perfect.

The figs I have been getting here are very good, but don't ask Mr Donut from NYC. ;\)

Ahhh, I forgot figs=Ichi jiku. How was the lunch Ocean?

I never tried fresh figs, what do those taste? I love dried figs in bread.

I had Apple sause from the US (Costco) now. That's very good! My friend told me Apples in Arzentine are very good, too.

slow, unfortunately db forgot to send his man around with the plane tickets, so I didn't make it to his gaff for lunch.

Ripe fresh figs have a very subtle flavour that is hard to define. If you eat the skin, which I usually do, there's an additional earthiness to the flavour.

The trouble with dried figs is that in a packet there's usually about five that were dried when already rotten, so they're bitter as hell. But good dried figs are heavenly.

My niece was born with a hole in her heart (as was my son. It's not really a big deal, the kid just goes blue sometimes in the cold). My sister in law, tried to suggest that it was her mother's fault for having a fig tree in her garden, which everybody knows is a very unlucky thing. If you believe that sort of crap.

But it was supposedly unlucky for the Emperor Augustus who was fond of his fresh figs. His wife is said to have had every fig on the tree poisoned, which did for imperial highness. What a horrible bitch, eh?

Sorry Ocean, I sent james around in the hover craft. He said the only person he found at your address was some guy riding a giant skateboard with his cap on backwards. Figuring it was not Ocean11, he returnd alone.

I will have to speak to james.

Going back to fruit.... our supermarket used to do "Egg Days" when eggs were ludicrously cheap - now they have "Banana Days" every Monday and bananas are less than 50% normal price. So its bananas all round on Mondays and Tuesdays.

\:D

Akibun a very smelly fruit. You can't miss it - can smell it from a distance. It does not fit in with a "fruit shop smell". ;\)