I have broken the back of my sleep problems, the cycle has been turned. I now arise at 4.15am and am at work just after 5.30am. This keeps me pretty bushed in the evenings so i often hit the sack by 9.30pm.

Best of all I have an almost empty train on the way to work and often leave work at 5pm for teh benefit of a half empty train. Avoiding teh train nightmare is bliss.

First available train is at 4.43am. I have only caught it once.

Overall, Tokyo is a far more palatable city at 5am, esp in summer.

Weekends are no problem, the key being to be very tired on Sunday night and go to bed early.

• 2 weeks later...

I awake at the late hour of 6:30 by which time db is already at work, and good on him. I used to rarely work in the AM but I enjoy getting started early. These days I'm usually in bed before midnight during the week.

Due to the unavoidable requirement to stay at work very late last week, I suspended my early starts as I was not in bed by the required 10pm, let alone home. 2 Fridays ago I worked until 3am saturday morning creating a large presentation document helping a Japanese guy translate it (he translated and I explained the technical terms and ****y business idioms that don't exist in Japanese, like "strategic building blocks"). I have never seen anyone work so slowly. He wanted to come in on Sunday to finish it where as I told him we were not leaving until we finished - rather a late Friday than sitting in teh office all sunday arvo.

Anyway, yes, I am back to my very early starts as of this week. I find motivation in my desire to avoid the celebrated Tokyo mass of humanity riding the same train at the same time - the most vile start to the day that I can think of. I also leave work earlier which means I enjoy a nicer ride home, although still hard to get a seat.