wow! I almost never get spam, perhaps 1 email every 6 weeks. Today I got 21 worm related emails and my email client was even trying to send emails to other places automatically.

I use OCN for my interent account.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem...

The Internet has been throwing fits today, all day. I hate it when it does that. It feels like one of my senses has been terminated...

Quote:
my email client was even trying to send emails to other places automatically.
that's pretty bizarre. sounds like u could be infected with sumthing and it's sending out mails to infect other people. what did ya mean by "worm related mails" ? were they like, spam mails offering to remove virii or were they mails with sumkind of evil attachment? well, if it bothers u, u could always do a scan using a free virus-scanner like AVG(www.grisoft.com). Doesn't sound like the blaster virus that's going round. It doesn't replicate itself thru email.

My wife has an OCN account too but she hasn't had any wierd e-mails lately. sux to see u on the end of all this wackiness.

For each email there was another email from OCN saying that a viral attachment had been scanned and removed, so I didn't actually ever see any attachment.

The emails were very varied. I have deleted them, but from memory the headers were along the lines of:

- "you have won"

- "you email account is about to be cancelled, please read the attachment"

- something to do with boots

- "I miss you"

- etc

The emails being sent out (but halted by my quick mouse) were to strange addresses and usually no header. One was to myinfo@????.com.

All the messages from OCN advising viral detection mention the word "worm".

All this happened on my iMac. I have another OCN email address that is only accessed from my PC. This saw no worm mail.

well, it's good to see that OCN is doing something on their end of things and catching those e-mails with suspicious attachments.

as for the e-mails with a mind of their own sending themselves out, that definately sounds bad. I don't know much about mac viruses, i was studying for the MCSE (Microsoft's inhouse degree), microsoft, as u know is ibm-based, so maybe i could have helped u there. Then again, is u'r mac PC emulating?

u can always have a look at www.macvirus.com, it might give u a clue as to what it is that's going on. Sorry, i'm not much of a help. wakaranai.gif

I got many also saying "re: thank you" and "wicked screensaver" and "your details" and like this.

Did someone else sometimes delete important mail by mistake? I am sure sometime I do it.

mad.gif

Hey Hide,

Quote:
I got many also saying "re: thank you" and "wicked screensaver" and "your details" and like this.

that sounds like the sobig virus. Whatever u do, don't open the pif files that come attached.

apaarently there's a huge wave of it making the rounds right now -

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/22/sobig.virus/index.html

Hey db - if your computer is trying to send email that it sounds like it has been infected. Do an online virus scan asap.

Horror stories abound about people that had embarrassing emails sent to everyone in their address books because of malicious worms.

It's worth investing a little bit of cash to be free of this sort of rubbish. And it's really necessary to get some protection if you need to be seen as a reliable online person.

Since kamoshika recommended Mailwasher, I downloaded it free and then paid for it soon after. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it's really good, especially when you start setting filters.

I'm also going to get Benign

from the same company that makes Mailwasher. It strips all malicious code from email so that even if you don't have the latest virus software installed, you'll never get viruses from email.

Perhaps these people making and selling these mail filters and decoders and stuff ar ethe ones who are also creating these malicous mails?

I think I maybe reading too many conspiracy theories lately \:\(

If were talking about the same guy then as I understand it he only changed it slightly to include his "cyber name" in the title and then let it keep spreading rather than instigate it. He'll still spend some time being the new meat in the prison shower though.