who here has worked in the fast food industry?

read Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation" for the second time recently. In it he talks about the vast numbers of people who have worked for Macdonald's and other fast food chains. I worked in various places for 6 years, pretty well until I got out of uni. Just wondering, who else here worked in fast food. What were your experiences? did u ever mess with the food? The worst thing i ever did was steal food when i was hungry. anyway, i'm interested in hearing other people's stories so your posts will be most appreciated.

I drank their wine and 'special' Moosebreath beer until I swelled up, I made an artform of putting their sherbet deserts in my mouth whole, I entertained my psychotic, drug addicted, moronic, and criminal male colleagues with my 'eddikated' fooling, and shagged a couple of my female colleagues, enjoying protracted foreplay with them in the stockrooms. All in grease-stained brown nylon trousers of the crudest manufacture.

I never messed with anybody's food, although I was constantly criticised for my complete contempt for the scales with which I was supposed to measure out every last goddamned topping. I was accused of being so 'laid-back' that the back of head scraped the floor. I did however witness others spitting in food.

There was the most amazing pigheaded behaviour from customers and also from staff.

The most amazing thing though is that people actually paid a lot of money for the truly revolting offerings of Pizza Hut. It was all utterly horrible, and the kitchen was littered with spray cans of edible grease which was used in the preparation of the pizzas.

I worked at McDonalds for 3 1/2 years. Started when I was 15 and then quit to move to Rossland at 18.

Working there was a lot of fun and I am glad I experienced it. Doing that and other monotanious jobs is what made me want to go to school so I would not have to flip burgers for the rest of my life.

The experience at McDonalds also helped me get other horrible jobs on my way though Uni.

Only now with a BA in Geography all I can expect for work back home is a job flipping burgers.

Quote:
There was the most amazing pigheaded behaviour from customers and also from staff.
oh yeh. many fond memories of stupid people. I remember working in a chinese restuarant, people would ask "does the beef blah blah blah have any beef in it?" then again I remember clearly the people who were nice. There was a dude that tipped me 5 dollars on a delivery altho it isn't the custom to do so in Australia. I was 20 and man, that 5 bucks meant so much to me. lol.gif

Used to deliver pizzas in high school. Best pirks were oven-fresh pizza whenever you wanted and grabbing all the leftover pies at the end of the day. My car and clothes stank of pizza sauce after a a day of work though. In terms of tips, the size of the house was inversely proportional to the size of the tip (with the exception of large deliveries).

Had a buddy who worked at a Burger King for a while back in the day. He used to just sell food to customers without using the register, and pocket the money. Got away with it until he quit!

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a stint at pizza delivery too. It was great, loved it. The boss was amazing at the place and after the work was finished we got to eat pizza many nights. Some wonderful combis were made then, experimenting with new ideas for pizza toppings. Those were the days ;\)

\:D

I worked at the school canteen when I was 15. I had a profit sharing rort set up. More to the point, we stole.

When I was rostered to work, my mates would buy lunch, pay 10 cents and get $10 or $20 bucks in change. At the end of the day I took 50%.

When they were rostered on I would get the same service.

It really got out of hand. Once I bought $10 worth of lunch with a small flat pebble... and got $20 in change.

In the end we all got busted and suspended from school... again.

Man, I got suspended so many times.

The amazingly powerful pull of the free lunch at work again.

At this place I once worked, we had these welcoming ceremonies/buffets for new students. You had to stand listening to the moronic school president babble on for 20 minutes while a whole bunch of food congealed and beer went warm before your eyes. Then the new students showed their friendship by chasing you around with a temptingly tilted beer bottle while you tried to find some food with recognizable ingredients. Whatever edible food you could scrape together you then had to eat standing up while being asked "How long you er, er, how long er...." It was awful.

I tried to rally my colleagues to twist management's arm so that we could decide whether to participate or not, in line with Japan's overtime laws. And every single one of them said "But we get free food".

Free, at a very high price.

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:
lol.gif and this man is now working in the financial industry....! You learned quick!
Indeed.

Further more, when I was in grade 6 (about 12 yrs old) I lead a toilet paper enterprise. My mates and I would take all the toilet paper from the loos and then charge people some of their lunch money for a few sheets... passed under the door just after they realised there was no toilet paper in the holder.

Please do not get the idea that I was some kind of bully. In fact the opposite was true, I was regularly beaten up. At lunch time the big guys would hold dwarf throwing events. I was always a dwarf.

Sorry, off topic.

I worked in a Brewers Fayre pub restaurant (not even fast food, sorry!) once for the laughs and some cash when I was inbetween work.

Obviously, I didn't get many apart from Julie who was well worth the experience.