dude you have to be rich to meet with them. living in kyoto I have seen then takin pics with both maiko and geisha. Also you have to be invited by someone either a worker or member.

My friend is an ex maiko. She told me keanu reeves visited her friends geiko club in kyoto. He was with the japanese movie execs during the matrix hype up.

As I understand it, the whole differentiation between a Geisha and a common whore was that the Geisha was celebrated for her beauty and artistic prowess, and was not required to have sex. This created more of an elusiveness, that when sex was for sale (usually only to a very important client that had to go through more of a rigorous process than "I wanna get you in the sack") made it considerably more expensive.

I was under the impression that Geisha were pretty much extinct. Any Geisha now would probably be more akin to an actor playing an Edo period Geisha. Let me know if this is incorrect.

there are still a few in the kyoto area hard to find though. they dont have the wear that white make up and are over 25.

Any maiko girl can be a geisha after a certain point of time but its a hard loney lofe. my friend quit because she didnt want to be a geiko girl. she was at the crossroads of that choice.

ender your right about the courting a date with a maiko runs 50000 yen just for her to date you. some of that money goes to the mama san owner. the owner supplies the maiko girls kimonos make up food houseing everything. the mama sans make the cash.

Aha, I see. I was wondering about that too.

Geisha, geiko, same thing. 'Arts person' and 'arts child' respectively. While there were only ever very few of them, men could be 'geisha', while only women are called 'geiko'. Probably.

In Gion in Kyoto you can see tourists dressed up as geisha waddling about grinning in the company of a tour guide. They are completely unlike the geisha who trip along close to warp speed and glance about with a 'wtf are you looking at?' expression on their faces.

a mix of old and new. walk arund between 4 and 6 and you might see the real geishas and maikos.

There are many sections to gion. its rather small but its still worth a walk around. some nice beer gardens and small eatting spots. Never been to a geisha club but i can go one time with my friend. Im waiting for the right people to go with before i take her offer up. ie good friends coming from home. the gaijins hang out mostly in a different part of town.

• 2 months later...

When I was a kansaijin, I used to see people having those parties on the dodgy scaffolding by the Kamogawa with the geisha on hand. It looked as though they would be having a lot more fun if only Traditional Japan weren't sitting there making everybody nervous.