Walking / jogging on roads

Which side of the road do you walk/jog on (especially when there is no walkway/pavement)?

I usually did the left, but it seems that Japanese tend to go on the right.

Why should you walk facing the oncoming traffic? What difference does it make?

If you do that at night, you'll just get blinded by the headlights (which in the sticks will often thoughfully be on high beam).

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever consciously stood to the left or right of an elevator...(and was unaware of any rule back in blightey.

As for the side of the road, face the traffic, make eye contact and yer less likely to get run down. You can jump outta the way if you see what's about to hit you too.

Growing up in single lane somerset, we're taught to walk facing the oncoming traffic...

confused.gif can't win...

I wonder if slow meant "escalator", not "elevator"? I get angry if I'm trying to "overtake" people on the escalator only to find two biddies blabbering away side-by-side, blocking my way. mad.gif

I've considered carrying a car horn with me to encourage them to "yield" to my faster vehicle. "Awoooooooogah!"

Japan is so interesting. I don't know about you, but I have never seen so many people literally queue to ride the escalator on the left hand side. No one walks on the left, they all just enjoy the ride. The walking side (right) is open and clear, but the queue to have the luxury of riding up without taking a step is huge. When I arrive at work in peak hour I see it every time. A huge queue of people dutifully waiting in an orderly line so as to enjoy the distinguished ride up the automatic stairs. It is actually pretty good for me as I get a clear run up the right hand side, but often attract the glare of people who feel that my escalator etiquette needs some improvement. It seems like people see the moving stairs and think: "oooh, cool, lets join the 30 meter long queue so that I can have my turn".

Like Goemon, I also get a little frustrated with the one person who decides to take a stationary ride up on the right.

also remember that in Japan the position you stand on the escalator varies. In Tokyo stand on the left, in Osaka stand on the right.

Apparently it stems from early times, Osaka the merchant city, it was safer to walk on the right and protect your wallet which was kept on the right side of your body.

Tokyo had more warriors, Samurai etc being the capital and to draw your sword it is easier to be on the left and draw from your scabbard (most people being right handers)

So the story goes, could be an old wifes tale but seems to make sense.

Also in Osaka people in the swimming pools go around anti clockwise, which got me awfully confused for the first time.

i never even thought about the pool before. I went one time to the local pool. I realized it was just a circle swim, not all that fun so i never went back. i walk on the left, ride on the left but that dpesnt mean other obachans do.

They had the escalator thing on the TV a couple of weeks back.

They didn't mention anything about swords or protecting your wallet, but said that Osaka's standing on the right was established around the time of the Expo in 1970. They listed many cities around the world where standing on the right is customary. Standing on the left appeared in the minority.

Regardless of the reason, it switches over between Maibara and Gifu.

I have been a bit frustrated with American escalator riders. There seems to be no such thing as the two lanes system. Once you get on around these parts you get the whole step, whether you decide to walk or ride. May have something to do with the general size difference between the avg American and avg Japanese. wakaranai.gif