Do you ever get this feeling ?

So I have noticed myself getting this feeling as of late, see if anyone can identify.

I am just going about my daily business, when I make a decision to do something, say, cross the street - I look for cars, but I have already taken my first steps. I see the cars coming for me, but because I have already set myself on this course of action, I am powerless to turn back - It all culminates in this slow motion - "What the hell am I doing . . . I need to turn back . . . Why am I still running out into traffic . . . That car is coming right for me . . . Wow! I almost got hit by that car" kindov scenario being played out in my head, and in real life.

Another example would be understanding the stupidity of drunken unprotected sex while engaging in said activity. Kindov a "Why am I powerless to stop my actions? " kindov vibe.

I can't stop mid-course, what's up with that ? I am thinking that this kindof mentality developed while hitting the big air jumps at Hakuba, where I knew if I backed down I was dead, but I dunno.

Can you relate ? I am afraid it could really go bad for me one day here.

Altered reality... living in a foreign culture one can get very focused and driven, as it's easy to exclude oneself from surrounding society and steam ahead on ones own recognisense (trying to spell isn't working today). Life becomes a dream, and well, nothing bad ever lasts in a dream, right?

I'm not making sense, suffice to say, while in Taiwan I (and many other ex-pats) had experiences/times just like yours. I kid you not when I say a good few didn't make it... but then you can't really compare their to here for danger!

lol!

Yeah...i(think) totally know what you're trying to get at!!!

It's that feeling you get when you've started something and realised once you've taken the first step that...mmm...maybe i shouldn't have done that! - but well i've started...so may as well finish! ....so you squeeze your eyes shut have a mental squirm *arraagh* - in anticipation for the pain - and hope for the best!!

kinda like bungy jumping!