I'm not in Japan yet, but will be in a few months. I've never lived in a foreign country before, but interested in what it is like.

Do you go through a honeymoon period when everything seems great (or the opposite?!), or is it best when you can understand everything?

I'm sure it is the old case-by-case situation, but it'd be interesting to hear any thoughts.

Cheers

A lot of people seem to find a great deal to irritate them and set them a'moaning in their first year, indeed some never seem to stop. So in that way, yes, it is like a honeymoon.

After that though, most people seem to find a balance of things they like about Japan and only occasionally have a good grizzle.

Looking back, although I certainly did my share of moaning, the first 2 years were filled with excitement and new discoveries.

First year flies past, its all new and i was frothing. When I was hanging out with mainly gaijin they whinged & moaned about everything and I got sucked in for a bit too. but I got out of the gaijin circle and made Japanese mates. I am here for a long time so i want to enjoy it as much as I can without the moaning!

There are days (or weeks sometimes) when I hate the place, but thats just a bit of homesickness.