slow, doesn't it bother you that the next Kanto Daijishin is overdue by a good few years now? The Hanshin big one was bad enough, but the next Kanto shakeup is going to be worse by orders of magnitude. (Have you ever seen how hard it is to put out just one house fire with even 4 fire engines? There certainly won't be 4 for every burning thing in Tokyo...)

It's kind of rumour. I don't know when big earth quake coming very well. I just heard it and realized many places warn us to prepare for water, the place to meet the family or something like that.

When the Hanshin big one came, I was in San Diego and my dad's colleague told us it happened. I remember that very well. I didn't know it was so big and bad but I realized it was so bad from news paper. It had the name of sacrificed, they used 3 or 4 papers for them. And I was working for the housing industry at that time and many people went to Hanshin to build new houses. But most of them was so shocked to see the destroyed town and houses. Nobody predicted the big one coming to Hanshin area at that moment.

I really hope the big earth quake not coming everywhere any more.

I too heard the prediction for this week, so I was a little spooked when it first started. What most startled me about this one was that it hit right away.... usually you can feel a buildup, where it kinda rumbles and then gets stronger and stronger. This one just felt like my apartment building got hit by a big truck from the start.

I didn't even feel it, but I was walking rather quickly outside and had headphones blasting. \:\(

So many people in my office have become interested in the color and formation of clouds ever since that scientist made the big one prediction. I hope Panawave can save us!

MistaS: I've seen some articles claiming that the "quake clouds" have been studied for at least 10 years, with some pundits claiming that ancient peoples used this method to predict imminent earthquakes. Here's a pretty comprehensive website on this "science".

Goemon, that's a pretty interesting site. Very 'Chinese man of science'. It's more convincing for the fact that he admits his mistakes very frankly.

I remember shortly after the Hanshin quake, the local TV news showed a picture taken by an amateur photographer of a pillar of cloud rising above Awajishima maybe a week before the quake. They speculated that there may have been a connection. Maybe there was.