• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres been a serious drought of good movies recently too so it'll be good to get back into the cinema. I havent been for about 3 months. Its been all tomb raider2 and shite like that recently.

Just saw Kill Bill

My review (no spoilers):

First thing, I was surprised at how much Japan there was in this flick. At least half of the dialog was in Japanese. Lucy Liu hid her lack of ability by speaking softly, and it works fairly well. Uma did a fair job for a westerner who probably only practiced her lines. I think they definately spent alot of time, trying to get the Japanese to an acceptable level, which is great in my book, considering how many films seem to do it half-assed, or not at all.

Japanese stereotypes were laid on thick. But that was kind of the point, as this movie's action, plot, and mood mirrors that of an ultra-violent anime. They actually do a 5 minute animated digression in this ultra-violent style. I am not a big fan of anime - I could take it or leave it, but it worked well here. What also surprised me, was how well Tarantino set up and filmed the action sequences. Fun hokey, but not super hokey or going for laughs, and with comic book violence and gore.

Another thing that I have to comment on was that it felt like half a movie - obviously due to the whole part one thing. It was definately unjust, because the movie a) has a thin plot, and B) is slowly paced, thus the movie that they show you, only gives you half the events of a small story.

The acting was good overall. Performances were over-the-top in some cases, but again that is what he was going for. Uma Thurman was great - totally believable when the script needed her to be.

Overall the movie was very stylish, as you might expect from Tarantino. Closeups and weird camera angles, goresplatter, switches from Color/BW and back with some clever techniques. Lots of attention to detail. Big theme was of course, revenge. Tarantino definately tried to invoke the spirit of older martial arts flicks, with hokey villians, and lots of tough talk. The use of the sword was much appreciated.

I would definately recommend this flick to anyone who is interested in it. It is definately not a rental, as there is too much to see to watch it on the TV. As a last note, the soundtracking is pretty damn good, save for overkill on some of the segues and sound effects.

I like his first two but not 'From Dusk till Dawn'. In a sense, it too was a two part movie, the first the family and then the vampires. Loved Cheech's cameo too.

I'm looking forward to this, it's been hyped up in the UK. Lets hope it's not all hype like the Matrix Reloaded.

I saw it this morning at 10am! I'm now thinking that was a bit early for such a movie but I still really enjoyed it.

I was suprised at the gore though. I was expecting to be less so. That anime was interesting as well, it slotted in very nicely.

Looking forward to Volume 2.