Bringing down the price

I was in Akihabara the other day and looking at the top end notebooks.

There was one there for about 330,000 yen, and I asked them if they were able to give a discount. They were hissing and doing all the muzukashiis, so I went away for a few minutes and went back. I told the guy that the same machine over the road was 280,000 yen (not true) - I was shocked when the guy did a bit more of hissing in his breath and said OK, I could have it for 28 man.

Shocking the way they will come down in price so much so easily.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I've had the experience where I quote a price from another shop, whether existent or not, and without any inhaling at all, they say "OK, why don't you go buy it from that shop then?"
shop assistants of electronic stores in singapore always say this.

thats you cue to say - well Sam, (secretly read from name badge) I just wanted to see if you could do any better than them but since you can't...

If you tell A that you want it for the same price as B then they know your fibbing otherwise you would just buy it from B. You have to let A know they have to better then B for you to buy it.

This all got a little complicated when shopping for the wife's skis when we had a good deal for skis in one shop and a good deal on bindings in another shop - if purchaced in one shop you get free binding mounting if not you have to pay for it. With mounting it still ended up cheaper to buy seperately. That and we wanted to buy as little as possible from the man that suggested that the crappiest bindings in the shop might be "more comfortable for woman" than the best bindings in the shop which is what we were after.

Definitely worth a go - they're at each others throats these eleccy shops now (they are in our region anyway - always got their competitions chirashi outside saying they'll beat whatever prices the other has).

I wish shops here were a bit more open to haggling. That would make things more fun, and cheaper. I don't suppose it fits in well with the ripoff image the country is trying to foster though mad.gif

At home we generally get something off for asking, usually 10%ish (in Dunedin anyway). One day I was spending rather alot on a spyder top and thought that it might be a good idea to ask the (scottish) woman at the counter for a discount. Should have seen her go, apparantly where she is from it is rather rude to ask for a discount and even though she was now in NZ the scottish rules still applied in her shop. I laughed at her and told her she wasnt in scotland now and got the top anyway.

In those leccy shops, them guys with their calculators - are they just doing lots of that for show or what? Once when I asked a guy, he looked at a small code written on the price tag thing, seemed to have some meaning to him. Lots of times they seem to be messing about with their cals for ages before giving you their verdict.