It's well known that Japan has over 500 downhill ski areas, but how popular is cross country skiing here?

Some of my schools have their own trails on the baseball pitch and rice paddies, but there are only about 2 official courses in the ken.

It's a great alternative to skiing/boarding when the conditions on the slopes are bad, not to mention a superb workout.

thefunnkydrummer,

I think people who have not tried it yet tend to think that crosscountry skiing is just tough, no fun at all.

I just tried it yesterday for the first time and found it fun. Didn't know there's kinda uneven stuff at the back of crosscountry ski so you can never go backward even at some uphill which was discovery for me.

You never know what you can do till you try!

;\)

Quote:
I think people who have not tried it yet tend to think that crosscountry skiing is just tough, no fun at all.
Thats pretty much what I think. People who try it do often seem to really like it though.

Some of my friends are cross country skiers. They usually go to Senjogahara in Nikko.

I have no idea what kind of place and snow they need. Are they skiing on the forest road? Are they happy with deep powder?

Is there any good place for both downhill skiers and cross country skiers??